Re: NVDA Is Well Ahead Of JAWS

Kenny <kwashingtonbox@...>

I agree with your statement.

I just switched over from using the latest build of JAWS 2018 to NVDA 2018.1.1, and I'm quite happy with my decision (Mainly a financial matter for I could no longer afford the $120+ SMA.) Been using JAWS since 1999, so you have an idea on how much money I've spent on it ;P

Took some time for me to adjust my fingers to using NVDA keyboard navigation, but once done it's very responsive, and with the installation of ETI Eloquence; sounds just as good.

The only benefit JAWS has over NVDA is the ability to create application specific scripts easily. JAWS also allowed you to re-assign classes for windows it would improperly define. Really wish NVDA allowed this option for there are several applications I use that it keeps incorrectly treating a listbox as if it was static text.

Other than that, NVDA is definitely on par with JAWS.

On 4/19/2018 3:43 PM, Gene wrote:
There are some uses for which JAWS is better.  My impression is that NVDA is either as good or better than JAWS for typical uses such as browsing, e-mail, working with audio players, and doing other things the majority of users do.  But JAWS is much more user configurable and the user who knows how to do so can make it work with many programs that aren't widely used, but that the person may want or need.  A lot of users won't have a need or wish to do so but the ability to customize JAWS is important for some users.

And there are times when JAWS works with a certain program better and where NVDA works with a specific program better.

It's common to see the attitude among committed NVDA users that it is very superior and to pretty much dismiss JAWS.  that isn't a proper view.  for some, perhaps many, users, NVDA would be superior.  but there are blind people who rely on JAWS in important ways.  It's far better to have choices and I don't hope to see the demise of JAWS.