From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2018 11:27 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Is Well Ahead Of JAWS

I don't know what the person had in mind but I think he was talking about the more or less equivalent of set files in JAWS.  They are called frames and they do roughly what set files do in Window-eyes.  I don't know if there are any technical reasons why NVDA doesn't have the ability to make such things but it is important that this be added unless there are tec hnical reasons against doing so.

Also, JAWS has an all setting for the screen echo that NVDA doesn't have.  This is very useful and it is more useful because JAWS allows you to use it with the skip forward and back commands while continuing to read.  I used to use the all setting a long time ago when I used a shell account and used Pine as my e-mail program on the shell account.  screen echo made it possible for me to use Pine with no modifications of anything on my part.  I would move to a new message and open it.  Then I would use the skip forward command, right shift, to skip forward in what was read until I got to what I wanted to hear.  When used with the screen echo set to all, this command and left shift, move back a line, kept reading after you moved.  I would thing such features would be very useful in NVDA.  But others who use newer and other programs would have to comment on whether this combination would be useful.

Sent: Friday, April 20, 2018 11:14 PM

I didn't know JAWS allows to easily create specific scripts.  I thought it took some programming skills just like making add ons for nvda does.  The one thing nvda needs is the ability to make something like set files as the old Window Eyes did.  This is something I did a bit.  I needed a bit of sighted help to do some things like positioning the mouse pointer exactly where I wanted it, but once this was done, all I had to do was save those positions, give the thing a name that was associated with the particular program and save it and it was done!  No programming skills needed at all.

Roger

On 4/20/2018 7:29 PM, Kenny wrote:

I agree with your statement.

I just switched over from using the latest build of JAWS 2018 to NVDA 2018.1.1, and I'm quite happy with my decision (Mainly a financial matter for I could no longer afford the $120+ SMA.) Been using JAWS since 1999, so you have an idea on how much money I've spent on it ;P

Took some time for me to adjust my fingers to using NVDA keyboard navigation, but once done it's very responsive, and with the installation of ETI Eloquence; sounds just as good.

The only benefit JAWS has over NVDA is the ability to create application specific scripts easily. JAWS also allowed you to re-assign classes for windows it would improperly define. Really wish NVDA allowed this option for there are several applications I use that it keeps incorrectly treating a listbox as if it was static text.

Other than that, NVDA is definitely on par with JAWS.

On 4/19/2018 3:43 PM, Gene wrote:

There are some uses for which JAWS is better.  My impression is that NVDA is either as good or better than JAWS for typical uses such as browsing, e-mail, working with audio players, and doing other things the majority of users do.  But JAWS is much more user configurable and the user who knows how to do so can make it work with many programs that aren't widely used, but that the person may want or need.  A lot of users won't have a need or wish to do so but the ability to customize JAWS is important for some users.

And there are times when JAWS works with a certain program better and where NVDA works with a specific program better.

It's common to see the attitude among committed NVDA users that it is very superior and to pretty much dismiss JAWS.  that isn't a proper view.  for some, perhaps many, users, NVDA would be superior.  but there are blind people who rely on JAWS in important ways.  It's far better to have choices and I don't hope to see the demise of JAWS.