Re: Changing punctuation pronunciation

Gene

I'm not shsure what that means.  Is it a bug?  That setting would be expected to determine when punctuation is spoken.  For example, if all is the level for the exclamation point, it shouldn't be spoken unless your synthesizer punctuation setting is set to all.  If it is set on most, then if your synthesizer punctuation setting is set to most, it should be spoken and if your synthesizer punctuation setting is set to all, it should also be spoken.

Sent: Monday, April 23, 2018 12:44 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Changing punctuation pronunciation

I found only one other instance of exclamation point and apostrophe and they both said all.  After I changed those, now it is working.  There aren't 4 of anything that needs changing but just 2.  At least it's doing what I want it to now!

Roger

On 4/23/2018 12:32 PM, Gene wrote:
I don't know why that is.  If you are doing things correctly, then there appears to be a problem with your NVDA extension or perhaps with Windows that is keeping the change from being implemented.  I don't know if the installed version keeps the changes in the program or in the registry.

But some things should be clarified to save people unnecessary work.  First, at least when I tested with an old version of NVDA, you don't have to save the configuration.  These settings are independent of the configuration.  So be sure you want to change what you are changing.
Unlike other changes in NVDA, once you make a change here, it remains, even if you apply the saved configuration before you save the current one.

Also, sentence ending means what is says.  If you just change sentence ending, it will just change sentence ending.  You don't have to change the sentence ending setting if you want to change how the symbol is spoken everywhere.  You can just change the setting for the symbol that has no description of what the setting affects.  For example, there is an explanation point setting that doesn't say sentence end or anything else.  Changing what is spoken for that item will change how it is spoken everywhere.

Sent: Monday, April 23, 2018 12:03 PM

That's just what I did for the exclamation point and the apostrophe.
Both of them are still saying bang and tick.  The replacement field has
my changes saved, but they just don't take effect.

Roger