Re: Changing punctuation pronunciation

Gene

I'm not shsure what that means.  Is it a bug?  That setting would be expected to determine when punctuation is spoken.  For example, if all is the level for the exclamation point, it shouldn't be spoken unless your synthesizer punctuation setting is set to all.  If it is set on most, then if your synthesizer punctuation setting is set to most, it should be spoken and if your synthesizer punctuation setting is set to all, it should also be spoken.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2018 12:44 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Changing punctuation pronunciation

I found only one other instance of exclamation point and apostrophe and they both said all.  After I changed those, now it is working.  There aren't 4 of anything that needs changing but just 2.  At least it's doing what I want it to now!

Roger

On 4/23/2018 12:32 PM, Gene wrote:
I don't know why that is.  If you are doing things correctly, then there appears to be a problem with your NVDA extension or perhaps with Windows that is keeping the change from being implemented.  I don't know if the installed version keeps the changes in the program or in the registry. 

But some things should be clarified to save people unnecessary work.  First, at least when I tested with an old version of NVDA, you don't have to save the configuration.  These settings are independent of the configuration.  So be sure you want to change what you are changing. 
Unlike other changes in NVDA, once you make a change here, it remains, even if you apply the saved configuration before you save the current one. 

Also, sentence ending means what is says.  If you just change sentence ending, it will just change sentence ending.  You don't have to change the sentence ending setting if you want to change how the symbol is spoken everywhere.  You can just change the setting for the symbol that has no description of what the setting affects.  For example, there is an explanation point setting that doesn't say sentence end or anything else.  Changing what is spoken for that item will change how it is spoken everywhere.

Sent: Monday, April 23, 2018 12:03 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Changing punctuation pronunciation

That's just what I did for the exclamation point and the apostrophe. 
Both of them are still saying bang and tick.  The replacement field has
my changes saved, but they just don't take effect.

Roger

On 4/23/2018 10:48 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:
> The Punctuation/Symbol pronunciation' dialog is perfectly adequate for this task, no add-on is required.  Open the dialog, arrow down to the symbol you want to change and press alt+r, type in the replacement word, tab to OK and press enter.  Repeat for all items you wish to change, then Press NVDA+Control+c to save your configuration
>
> Cheers
> Chris
> -----Original Message-----
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ervin, Glenn
> Sent: 23 April 2018 15:46
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] Changing punctuation pronunciation
>
> I would appreciate an add-on for this, I don't like those names for some of the punctuation either.
> Glenn
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tyler Spivey
> Sent: Saturday, April 21, 2018 2:30 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] Changing punctuation pronunciation
>
> You have to change all of them.
> 1. ! sentence ending
> 2. !
> 3. in-word '
> 4. '
>
> On 4/21/2018 11:57 AM, Roger Stewart wrote:
>> I'm trying to change the pronunciation of 2 punctuation s ! from bang to
>> exclaim and ' from tick to apostrophe.  I go into punctuation/symbol
>> pronunciation and I can easily change them and I hit the ok button to
>> save the changes but it doesn't take effect.  I tried restarting nvda
>> but it still stays the same.  I went back into the punctuation
>> pronunciation again and the settings are being saved just as I set
>> them.  How do I make them take hold?
>>
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>>
>> Roger
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.