Re: Long Link Names Make Reading Difficult

Antony Stone

How do you read emails which have both HTML and plain text parts?

In my experience this is far more common than emails with HTML only (no plain
text part).

Antony.

On Friday 04 May 2018 at 17:14:04, Louis Maher wrote:

Thanks Gene.

I am reading e-mails in the format they are sent in. For example, I am
reading this one in html; although the original mathematical example I
sent was sent at text.

I agree that the links are not being read correctly. I will continue to
work this issue, including looking into other e-mail solutions.

Thanks for your comments.

Regards
Louis Maher
From: BlindMath
<blindmath-bounces@...<mailto:blindmath-bounces@...>> On
Behalf Of Brandon Keith Biggs via BlindMath Sent: Friday, May 4, 2018 4:00
AM
To: Blind Math list for those interested in mathematics
<blindmath@...<mailto:blindmath@...>> Cc: Brandon Keith
Biggs <brandonkeithbiggs@...<mailto:brandonkeithbiggs@...>>
Subject: Re: [BlindMath] Typing Math and Science Quickly and
Understandably

Hello,

That article was very good thank you!

I would like to get an overview of how these different tools for producing
math output work. Here is what I understand so far, please correct me
where I'm wrong:

Every single method of producing inclusive math documents requires the
LaTeX [syntax.](
https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikib
ooks.org%2Fwiki%2FLaTeX%2FMathematics&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb0ec1aaa8a3447a3c17
308d5b19e30fb%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C6366102153338733
95&sdata=M6mF7uM0lfS6%2F0AGDTSnKiOH6eohNdBk9Q87qmkG%2BeY%3D&reserved=0)

The only difference is in the editor and compiler.

There are four ways of producing math content on the computer:

F1. (note I couldn't install the 30 day trial to test this out as the
accept license screen was not accessible) Using Microsoft Word or the
editor with [Mathtype.](
https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dessc
i.com%2Fen%2Fproducts%2Fmathtype%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb0ec1aaa8a3447a3c1730
8d5b19e30fb%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636610215333873395
&sdata=M0vgsFeq6JmKX%2FakP4HrdQEIIiKbDjhCt0Nyc0NYLMA%3D&reserved=0) This
allows you to have a large symbol list to choose from rather than needing
to type LaTeX, although you can type LaTeX if you wish. This has more
immediate feedback as users are able to read their equations in MathML
instantly rather than waiting to compile. This allows people to edit math
in Word which is generally a familiar environment. The downside is the
program costs around $50 a year and you don't get the powerful abilities
such as using BibTX, for writing papers. For math though, this works just
fine. So pros are familiar environment in Word, WYSIWYG symbol list and
editing, and access to the tools word has, such as spellcheck. Cons are
the cost, lack of external tools such as BibTX, and the need for two
proprietary applications.

2. Using [pandoc](
https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpandoc.o
rg%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb0ec1aaa8a3447a3c17308d5b19e30fb%7C84df9e7fe9f640af
b435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636610215333873395&sdata=HJAQJf7m%2BmPlkNayTPwty
yR1z9JH6WKe7AkQIQ%2Bcxcs%3D&reserved=0) to compile either pure LaTeX or
Markdown combined with LaTeX. Pros are the vast number of formats one can
export to, the ability to type in both LaTeX and Markdown, completely open
source, and access to tools such as BibTX. The cons are the need for one
to use the command line, the requirement to type LaTeX math, and the need
for one to understand how text editors and file types work.

3. Using [RMarkdown](
https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Frmarkdow
n.rstudio.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb0ec1aaa8a3447a3c17308d5b19e30fb%7C84df9
e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636610215333873395&sdata=hxNa6p%2F0hZ
Ztm11eRL7OJx0w%2BOg0nQLGSY5O4Ur%2B9tk%3D&reserved=0) Is basically for
programmers to insert output from programs (such as python or R scripts)
into a document. That way you don't need to insert screenshots or type the
output of the program every time you compile. Other than that it is
pandoc. Pros are the ability to call code from your Markdown file, massive
number of output file formats, completely open source, and the ability to
use tools such as BibTX. Cons are that one needs to use Markdown, the
required use of the command line, required use of LaTeX math, and the need
to understand editors and file types.

4. Using [MiKTeX](
https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmiktex.o
rg%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb0ec1aaa8a3447a3c17308d5b19e30fb%7C84df9e7fe9f640af
b435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636610215333873395&sdata=WGU1%2FjVwaeazi1k%2FXMx
0apWAJVHqRfNEz22bD0Kb41I%3D&reserved=0) with either a text editor or an IDE
like [TEXnicCenter.](
https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.texni
ccenter.org%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb0ec1aaa8a3447a3c17308d5b19e30fb%7C84df9e7
fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636610215333873395&sdata=kdVMzPSILszjz0
SrIcIkCj48hXInScKcrL6HOMxcDP8%3D&reserved=0)

Pros are that everything is integrated so no knowledge of the command line
is needed, ability to export in a wide range of formats, and ability to
use tools like BibTX. Cons are the configuration options if one wishes to
do anything other than the default, the need to type in pure LaTeX, and
exclusive to Windows (although there are text editors and IDEs other than
TeXnicCenter that can be used on other operating systems).

From what I have generally seen, Word is preferred by new users or users
who like to use word, pandoc is preferred by users who are intermediate or
above and who are not afraid of the command line, RMarkdown is used by
programmers and data annalists who run code, and TeXnicCenter is used by
people who want a simple plug and play tool for conversion between LaTeX
and other formats. They each have their different affordances and should
be used accordingly.

Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs
<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fbrandonk
eithbiggs.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb0ec1aaa8a3447a3c17308d5b19e30fb%7C84df9
e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636610215333873395&sdata=ec1B3YlMqkt0
xuFNrcj9QMnQmUUjaX%2BWpRuqA74U%2F8E%3D&reserved=0>

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 4:09 PM, Godfrey, Jonathan via BlindMath <
blindmath@...<mailto:blindmath@...>> wrote:
Hi Brandon,

Take out all the backslashes in the example you sent through that
aren't part of a mathematical expression. White space does all that is
needed for line breaks, indenting etc. in markdown documents.

You can't change the cumbersome nature of the LaTeX content for
equations, but I suggest using *x* instead of the more common $x$
within paragraphs because the font is so similar that it doesn't
matter to the sighted audience but the conversion to italics from the
stars is not spoken by a screen reader while the conversion to math
mode from use of dollars is announced. This suggestion does break the
rules for semantic correctness, but the distraction that is caused by
the screen reader telling me x was math content can often detract from
the overall reading experience of the final document especially in
sentences where there are plenty of elements using simple mathematical
notation. (You can't do this for super or subscripts so easily, or if the
element needs a {} construct for example.

One of the major pluses for encouraging my colleagues and anyone else
preparing material that might be read by a blind person is that the
author does not have to think about accessibility during document
preparation. The access is built in so often because markdown forces
an author to at least know they didn't add an alt tag for a graphic
because they left some brackets empty. They often don't know what
they've done (positive or
negative) in reality so occasionally, some helpful reminders are
required. <smiles> Markdown won't stop people choosing daft text for
hyperlinks such as "here" but that's a societal issue not a mathematical
one.

Compare the simplicity of markdown to the pain to get an alt tag
added to a graphic inserted into a LaTeX document. Yes it is possible,
but it requires some additional work by the author if the document is
to be born accessible or some post hoc editing by a human to build in
that access. I can do the former, but as a blind person the latter
option is annoying in HTML and impossible if the output file is in pdf.

As it happens, I did write up some starting suggestions for markdown
documents which are tailored to people using the R variant of markdown.
Head to
https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fr-re
sources.massey.ac.nz%2FRmarkdown%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb0ec1aaa8a3447a3
c17308d5b19e30fb%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C63661021
5333873395&sdata=QQh72p%2Ba6PrSSD3lwvRPIiF8FeQz%2BkqUUQzpV118Aac%3D&re
served=0

HTH
Jonathan

Behalf Of Brandon Keith Biggs via BlindMath
Sent: Friday, 4 May 2018 10:24 a.m.
To: Blind Math list for those interested in mathematics <
blindmath@...<mailto:blindmath@...>>
Cc: Brandon Keith Biggs
<brandonkeithbiggs@...<mailto:brandonkeithbiggs@...>>
Understandably

Hello Jonathan,
Do you have something that explains the least cumbersome syntax for
Markdown / LaTeX?
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs
<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fbran
donkeithbiggs.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb0ec1aaa8a3447a3c17308d5b19e30f
b%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636610215333873395&sdat
a=ec1B3YlMqkt0xuFNrcj9QMnQmUUjaX%2BWpRuqA74U%2F8E%3D&reserved=0>

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 2:11 PM, Godfrey, Jonathan via BlindMath <

blindmath@...<mailto:blindmath@...>> wrote:
Hello,

You are correct that use of LaTeX within a markdown document leads
to the same outcome as the workflow you have used in MS Word with
MathType. I don't think you should suddenly change workflow for
improved access to the mathematical content. There are other reasons
why you should get use of pandoc into your toolbox though.

I do think Brandon's example is more cumbersome than it needed to be.
I use markdown almost daily, and I only ever put a \ to get
mathematical content. Forever listening to backslash from any screen
reader is annoying, slows me down, and often presents a distraction.
This was a leading reason for reducing my use of full-blown LaTeX.

I would urge you to make use of the LEAN editor mentioned in this
thread to enhance your workflow. The feature of LEAN I use most is
the addition of tags to the math content so that you do not need to
go backwards and forwards into LaTeX mode to read the content, and
you don't have to use the specific combination of tools (screen
reader + math player). LEAN offers an alternative and I am not
suggesting it as a replacement. Having options is power, because it
puts you in control.

I do think you need to enhance what you do a little to get the best
of what you have now before you embark on all manner of options. I
would also suggest to you that the accuracy aspect of your criticism
of LaTeX (while
true) is also true for practically every tool you will use, and is
also true for the scientific content you will be working with. I
think your initial message to this thread said you were considering
a computer science major; the programming languages you use will
have limited flexibility to deal with the human inaccuracies that
even the best among us is prone to create. For me, it is the ability
to find and correct these inaccuracies that tells me how truly
accessible a solution is for me. Markdown is the solution that works
best for me
today; it is not the only solution I use.

My final point is about use of a personal system. I know plenty of
blind people who have little shorthand things we write. The problem
is that they are individual and can't be shared. The most likely
person you will want to share your work with is your future-self.
Will you recall the shorthand you use today in ten years' time?

Cheers,
Jonathan