From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Antony Stone
Sent: Friday, May 4, 2018 11:18 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Long Link Names Make Reading Difficult

How do you read emails which have both HTML and plain text parts?

In my experience this is far more common than emails with HTML only (no plain text part).

Antony.

On Friday 04 May 2018 at 17:14:04, Louis Maher wrote:

Thanks Gene.

I am reading e-mails in the format they are sent in. For example, I
am reading this one in html; although the original mathematical
example I sent was sent at text.

I agree that the links are not being read correctly. I will continue
to work this issue, including looking into other e-mail solutions.

Thanks for your comments.

Regards
Louis Maher
From: BlindMath
<blindmath-bounces@nfbnet.org<mailto:blindmath-bounces@nfbnet.org>> On
Behalf Of Brandon Keith Biggs via BlindMath Sent: Friday, May 4, 2018
4:00 AM
To: Blind Math list for those interested in mathematics
<blindmath@nfbnet.org<mailto:blindmath@nfbnet.org>> Cc: Brandon Keith
Biggs
<brandonkeithbiggs@gmail.com<mailto:brandonkeithbiggs@gmail.com>>
Subject: Re: [BlindMath] Typing Math and Science Quickly and
Understandably

Hello,

That article was very good thank you!

I would like to get an overview of how these different tools for
producing math output work. Here is what I understand so far, please
correct me where I'm wrong:

Every single method of producing inclusive math documents requires the
LaTeX [syntax.](
https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.w
ikib
ooks.org%2Fwiki%2FLaTeX%2FMathematics&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb0ec1aaa8a3447
a3c17
308d5b19e30fb%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C63661021533
38733
95&sdata=M6mF7uM0lfS6%2F0AGDTSnKiOH6eohNdBk9Q87qmkG%2BeY%3D&reserved=0
)

The only difference is in the editor and compiler.

There are four ways of producing math content on the computer:

F1. (note I couldn't install the 30 day trial to test this out as the
accept license screen was not accessible) Using Microsoft Word or the
editor with [Mathtype.](
https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.d
essc
i.com%2Fen%2Fproducts%2Fmathtype%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb0ec1aaa8a3447a3
c1730
8d5b19e30fb%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C6366102153338
73395
&sdata=M0vgsFeq6JmKX%2FakP4HrdQEIIiKbDjhCt0Nyc0NYLMA%3D&reserved=0)
This allows you to have a large symbol list to choose from rather than
needing to type LaTeX, although you can type LaTeX if you wish. This
has more immediate feedback as users are able to read their equations
in MathML instantly rather than waiting to compile. This allows people
to edit math in Word which is generally a familiar environment. The
downside is the program costs around $50 a year and you don't get the
powerful abilities such as using BibTX, for writing papers. For math
though, this works just fine. So pros are familiar environment in
Word, WYSIWYG symbol list and editing, and access to the tools word
has, such as spellcheck. Cons are the cost, lack of external tools
such as BibTX, and the need for two proprietary applications.

2. Using [pandoc](
https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpand
oc.o
rg%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb0ec1aaa8a3447a3c17308d5b19e30fb%7C84df9e7fe9f
640af
b435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636610215333873395&sdata=HJAQJf7m%2BmPlkNay
TPwty
yR1z9JH6WKe7AkQIQ%2Bcxcs%3D&reserved=0) to compile either pure LaTeX
or Markdown combined with LaTeX. Pros are the vast number of formats
one can export to, the ability to type in both LaTeX and Markdown,
completely open source, and access to tools such as BibTX. The cons
are the need for one to use the command line, the requirement to type
LaTeX math, and the need for one to understand how text editors and file types work.

3. Using [RMarkdown](
https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Frmar
kdow
n.rstudio.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb0ec1aaa8a3447a3c17308d5b19e30fb%7C
84df9
e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636610215333873395&sdata=hxNa6p%
2F0hZ
Ztm11eRL7OJx0w%2BOg0nQLGSY5O4Ur%2B9tk%3D&reserved=0) Is basically for
programmers to insert output from programs (such as python or R
scripts) into a document. That way you don't need to insert
screenshots or type the output of the program every time you compile.
Other than that it is pandoc. Pros are the ability to call code from
your Markdown file, massive number of output file formats, completely
open source, and the ability to use tools such as BibTX. Cons are that
one needs to use Markdown, the required use of the command line,
required use of LaTeX math, and the need to understand editors and file types.

4. Using [MiKTeX](
https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmikt
ex.o
rg%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb0ec1aaa8a3447a3c17308d5b19e30fb%7C84df9e7fe9f
640af
b435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636610215333873395&sdata=WGU1%2FjVwaeazi1k%
2FXMx
0apWAJVHqRfNEz22bD0Kb41I%3D&reserved=0) with either a text editor or
an IDE like [TEXnicCenter.](
https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.t
exni
ccenter.org%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb0ec1aaa8a3447a3c17308d5b19e30fb%7C84
df9e7
fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636610215333873395&sdata=kdVMzPSIL
szjz0
SrIcIkCj48hXInScKcrL6HOMxcDP8%3D&reserved=0)

Pros are that everything is integrated so no knowledge of the command
line is needed, ability to export in a wide range of formats, and
ability to use tools like BibTX. Cons are the configuration options if
one wishes to do anything other than the default, the need to type in
pure LaTeX, and exclusive to Windows (although there are text editors
and IDEs other than TeXnicCenter that can be used on other operating systems).

From what I have generally seen, Word is preferred by new users or
users who like to use word, pandoc is preferred by users who are
intermediate or above and who are not afraid of the command line,
RMarkdown is used by programmers and data annalists who run code, and
TeXnicCenter is used by people who want a simple plug and play tool
for conversion between LaTeX and other formats. They each have their
different affordances and should be used accordingly.

Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs
<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fbran
donk
eithbiggs.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb0ec1aaa8a3447a3c17308d5b19e30fb%7C
84df9
e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636610215333873395&sdata=ec1B3Yl
Mqkt0 xuFNrcj9QMnQmUUjaX%2BWpRuqA74U%2F8E%3D&reserved=0>

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 4:09 PM, Godfrey, Jonathan via BlindMath <
blindmath@nfbnet.org<mailto:blindmath@nfbnet.org>> wrote:
Hi Brandon,

Take out all the backslashes in the example you sent through that
aren't part of a mathematical expression. White space does all that
is needed for line breaks, indenting etc. in markdown documents.

You can't change the cumbersome nature of the LaTeX content for
equations, but I suggest using *x* instead of the more common $x$
within paragraphs because the font is so similar that it doesn't
matter to the sighted audience but the conversion to italics from
the stars is not spoken by a screen reader while the conversion to
math mode from use of dollars is announced. This suggestion does
break the rules for semantic correctness, but the distraction that
is caused by the screen reader telling me x was math content can
often detract from the overall reading experience of the final
document especially in sentences where there are plenty of elements
using simple mathematical notation. (You can't do this for super or
subscripts so easily, or if the element needs a {} construct for example.

One of the major pluses for encouraging my colleagues and anyone
else preparing material that might be read by a blind person is that
the author does not have to think about accessibility during
document preparation. The access is built in so often because
markdown forces an author to at least know they didn't add an alt
tag for a graphic because they left some brackets empty. They often
don't know what they've done (positive or
negative) in reality so occasionally, some helpful reminders are
required. <smiles> Markdown won't stop people choosing daft text for
hyperlinks such as "here" but that's a societal issue not a
mathematical one.

Compare the simplicity of markdown to the pain to get an alt tag
added to a graphic inserted into a LaTeX document. Yes it is
possible, but it requires some additional work by the author if the
document is to be born accessible or some post hoc editing by a
human to build in that access. I can do the former, but as a blind
person the latter option is annoying in HTML and impossible if the output file is in pdf.

As it happens, I did write up some starting suggestions for markdown
documents which are tailored to people using the R variant of markdown.
Head to
https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fr-
re
sources.massey.ac.nz%2FRmarkdown%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb0ec1aaa8a3447
a3
c17308d5b19e30fb%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636610
21
5333873395&sdata=QQh72p%2Ba6PrSSD3lwvRPIiF8FeQz%2BkqUUQzpV118Aac%3D&
re
served=0

HTH
Jonathan

On Behalf Of Brandon Keith Biggs via BlindMath
Sent: Friday, 4 May 2018 10:24 a.m.
To: Blind Math list for those interested in mathematics <
blindmath@nfbnet.org<mailto:blindmath@nfbnet.org>>
Cc: Brandon Keith Biggs
<brandonkeithbiggs@gmail.com<mailto:brandonkeithbiggs@gmail.com>>
Understandably

Hello Jonathan,
Do you have something that explains the least cumbersome syntax for
Markdown / LaTeX?
Thanks,

Brandon Keith Biggs
<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fbr
an
donkeithbiggs.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cb0ec1aaa8a3447a3c17308d5b19e3
0f
b%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636610215333873395&sd
at a=ec1B3YlMqkt0xuFNrcj9QMnQmUUjaX%2BWpRuqA74U%2F8E%3D&reserved=0>

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 2:11 PM, Godfrey, Jonathan via BlindMath <

blindmath@nfbnet.org<mailto:blindmath@nfbnet.org>> wrote:
Hello,

You are correct that use of LaTeX within a markdown document leads
to the same outcome as the workflow you have used in MS Word with
MathType. I don't think you should suddenly change workflow for
improved access to the mathematical content. There are other
reasons why you should get use of pandoc into your toolbox though.

I do think Brandon's example is more cumbersome than it needed to be.
I use markdown almost daily, and I only ever put a \ to get
mathematical content. Forever listening to backslash from any
screen reader is annoying, slows me down, and often presents a distraction.
This was a leading reason for reducing my use of full-blown LaTeX.

I would urge you to make use of the LEAN editor mentioned in this
thread to enhance your workflow. The feature of LEAN I use most is
the addition of tags to the math content so that you do not need
to go backwards and forwards into LaTeX mode to read the content,
and you don't have to use the specific combination of tools
(screen reader + math player). LEAN offers an alternative and I am
not suggesting it as a replacement. Having options is power,
because it puts you in control.

I do think you need to enhance what you do a little to get the
best of what you have now before you embark on all manner of
options. I would also suggest to you that the accuracy aspect of
your criticism of LaTeX (while
true) is also true for practically every tool you will use, and is
also true for the scientific content you will be working with. I
think your initial message to this thread said you were
considering a computer science major; the programming languages
you use will have limited flexibility to deal with the human
inaccuracies that even the best among us is prone to create. For
me, it is the ability to find and correct these inaccuracies that
tells me how truly accessible a solution is for me. Markdown is
the solution that works best for me
today; it is not the only solution I use.

My final point is about use of a personal system. I know plenty of
blind people who have little shorthand things we write. The
problem is that they are individual and can't be shared. The most
likely person you will want to share your work with is your future-self.
Will you recall the shorthand you use today in ten years' time?

Cheers,
Jonathan