Re: Windows 10: where do I find updates?

Annette Moore

I'm not as familiar with the run command, but everything I need is either in search or it's an icon on my desktop. Now, does that sound lazy or what? LOL! I have used the run command some, though, when someone tells me exactly what to type in it, and it works well.

Annette

On 5/3/2018 2:10 PM, JM Casey wrote:

It’s a perfectly fine way of using Windows. I use the search box and the run command with almost equal frequency. I almost never use the menus anymore. My brain has pretty much defaulted to the standard of giving a path/directory structure when someone asks where something is in Windows, which is not necessarily how they think as they often use the menus. The thing is, those can be changed; programs can be moved around in different groups and such without actually changing their locations on the drive, so telling someone where to find a particular application using Windows menus is not necessarily going to be totally useful.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Annette Moore
Sent: May 3, 2018 2:29 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10: where do I find updates?

the search option is my best friend. LOL! I couldn't tell you where a lot of things are in windows 10 and I've had it for nearly a year now, but I do--most of the time--find everything I want with the search option. I probably should learn my way around, but it's just so easy to do a search and find what I want that way. the other day, someone was recommending that I go and look at my privacy settings because that's what she does after doing a major windows update, and I found them by doing the search. I love it, but I can also see where some might not like it as well because when I do the search for, say, Windows update, sometimes I have to keep arrowing and the check for updates option sort of hides on me. I eventually do see it, though.

Annette

On 5/3/2018 11:22 AM, Gene wrote:

I don't know but I hope that method helps you find other things easily.

I don't know which is easier in Windows 10, using methods like that described by the other person or this method.

Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2018 11:15 AM

I tried this method, but it did not seem to work well... So, I decided
to ask and the suggested procedure of using windows key+ i and going to
updates,   worked good.

Thanks anyway for the reply, maybe it was not me being able to make it
work using search in the start menu.