Re: Windows 10: where do I find updates?

Annette Moore

I'm not as familiar with the run command, but everything I need is either in search or it's an icon on my desktop. Now, does that sound lazy or what? LOL! I have used the run command some, though, when someone tells me exactly what to type in it, and it works well.

Annette

On 5/3/2018 2:10 PM, JM Casey wrote:

It’s a perfectly fine way of using Windows. I use the search box and the run command with almost equal frequency. I almost never use the menus anymore. My brain has pretty much defaulted to the standard of giving a path/directory structure when someone asks where something is in Windows, which is not necessarily how they think as they often use the menus. The thing is, those can be changed; programs can be moved around in different groups and such without actually changing their locations on the drive, so telling someone where to find a particular application using Windows menus is not necessarily going to be totally useful.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Annette Moore
Sent: May 3, 2018 2:29 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10: where do I find updates?

the search option is my best friend. LOL! I couldn't tell you where a lot of things are in windows 10 and I've had it for nearly a year now, but I do--most of the time--find everything I want with the search option. I probably should learn my way around, but it's just so easy to do a search and find what I want that way. the other day, someone was recommending that I go and look at my privacy settings because that's what she does after doing a major windows update, and I found them by doing the search. I love it, but I can also see where some might not like it as well because when I do the search for, say, Windows update, sometimes I have to keep arrowing and the check for updates option sort of hides on me. I eventually do see it, though.

Annette

On 5/3/2018 11:22 AM, Gene wrote:

I don't know but I hope that method helps you find other things easily.

I don't know which is easier in Windows 10, using methods like that described by the other person or this method.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2018 11:15 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10: where do I find updates?

I tried this method, but it did not seem to work well... So, I decided
to ask and the suggested procedure of using windows key+ i and going to
updates,   worked good.

Thanks anyway for the reply, maybe it was not me being able to make it
work using search in the start menu.

Il 03/05/2018 18:01, Gene ha scritto:
> I don't have Windows 10 but I would think another way would be to use the start menu search to search for Windows updates and, if that doesn't work, something broader like updates.
>
> One of the valuable things about the Windows 7 start menu search and I would think in Windows 10 as well, is that you can search for something such as uninstall programs and find the uninstall option in the results.  So you don't have to know the specific name of what you are looking for, Programs and Features.  The search is designed so that if you search for what you want to do, names are available to the search that show the options such as uninstall a program.
>
> This should, if Windows 10 is organized in the same way, make it much easier to find things without formally knowing the specific Windows name to search for.
>
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
>
> From: Holger Fiallo
> Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2018 8:56 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] Windows 10: where do I find updates?
>
>
> Window key i. Tab to security and updates, enter and tab to update.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Angela Delicata
> Sent: Thursday, May 3, 2018 8:44 AM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: [nvda] Windows 10: where do I find updates?
>
> Hi,
>
> The question is all in the subject line: i don't seem to be able to find
> them because the location seems to be different from Win 7.
>
> In other words: where are updates located? Where do I have to go in
> order to install them? And is there a way to check for updates
> automatically and have a notification when they are ready?
>
> Thank you so much.
>
> Angela from Italy
>
>
>
>
>  
>
>
>
>

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.