From: "Adlevision" <neill.hadder@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2018 8:42 PM
Subject: [nvda] MS Word commenting hangs up

Hi all,

I rely on the commenting feature in Word to provide feedback on student
papers, and NVDA gets hung up in a loop of some kind when I attempt to edit
comments, or at least comments that are several lines long. I'll be able to
insert several comments without a problem, but ultimately I'll encounter the
following symptoms:

1. The dreaded wall of unbreakable silence
2. Extreme sluggishness trying to alt-tab away from Word
3. Or, if it isn't silent, it'll be a strange open/close toolbar sound
plus NVDA reading the window title bar (the document filename) over and over
and over until the user is driven bananas or hell freezes over, whichever
comes second. The toolbar sound effect is likewise aan infinite loop.

Rebooting Word at least gets back to the known universe, but the same
problems will continue.

I'm not sure how many people rely on comments to the extent I do, or
author/edit comments as lengthy as mine. I'm at my wits end, though, since
it's final exam time. Jaws, meanwhile, randomly goes silent when editing
Word documents, comments or no comments, though it copes with the comments
payne reliably. Narrator requires 10 seconds to respond to arrow keys in
the comments payne. Don't get me started regarding Voiceover and Word on
Mac.

Can anyone else reproduce the behaviors noted above and offer an idea of
what is going on?

Thanks in advance. NVDA 2018.1.1, latest Office 365, Windows 10 (1709).

R. Neill Hadder, Ph.D.

Senior Lecturer and Internship Coordinator

Anthropology Department

Texas State University

n.hadder@...

(512) 245-7961

office: ELA241

Visit the Internship Gallery to see what our students have been up to:

http://anthropologyinternships.wp.txstate.edu