Re: NVDA and CCleaner (free, anyway)

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well yes of course. The beauty of most cleaners though is that they can show you what they think are rubbish. Its entirely up to yo what you do. If they are all innocuous, the do anything and it will still work. The comments I made earlier about their effectiveness to deal with some confused states windows can get into are true, but of course just removing unused entries and unused file extensions is hardly going to speed stuff up.
On slower machines, I have seen good effects but as has been observed it could just be down to rewriting the registry files in a better non fragmented form to the disc, so when you reboot its faster to find the lookups. However increasingly with storage being so cheap, a lot of the registry is kept always in memory anyway, so disc access times are less crucial.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2018 4:30 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and CCleaner (free, anyway)

Gene,

I'm actually familiar with that author's work as well. As I said earlier, and your reference supports it, the general consensus in the serious, what goes on under the hood IT world is that general purpose registry cleaners are snake oil, at best, and downright dangerous at worst.

Years ago, before I did any significant reading on this, I used the CCleaner registry cleaner feature with some regularity. While I never had any system problems as a result, I also never saw any noticeable change in how the system performed, either.

When it comes to system internals the old saw, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," applies in spades, as do, "Better safe than sorry," and, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

--

*Brian* *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

After all, a democracy based solely on the values of the majority, with no overriding ethical principles and processes, is nothing more than clubhouse democracy, great for those on the inside and a tyranny for those who fail to see eye to eye with the majority.

~ Paul Noeldner, May 16, 2007

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.