From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Sunday, May 13, 2018 1:58 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] New to NVDS

Hi Bonnie and others,

First, welcome to the world of NVDA.

Okay, let’s slow down a lot:

  • Based on what you’re telling us, am I correct in thinking that you are coming from a different screen reader?
  • What settings are you interested in changing?
  • Have you gone over NVDA’s user guide (online) and various tutorials to become familiar with NVDA in general?

To others: I think it is vital that we get to know the user first before suggesting all sorts of settings and intermediate concepts. Without knowing what the user wants (such as exact settings he or she wishes to change) and level of familiarity with NVDA, we won’t be able to guide the user to places where he or she can change appropriate settings. This is the reason why I said above that we need to slow down a lot before continuing.

P.S. For those coming to NVDACon this year, I’ll touch up on human factors in my session on providing technical support.

Cheers,

Joseph