Accessibility Development & Testing Resources

Hello All,

What follows will be posted on the JAWS for Windows, NVDA, and Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users groups on Groups.io.  So anyone who might be participating on more than one of the above need only respond on a single one of those venues.

As some of you know, I have a bachelor's degree in computer science and well over a decade of professional experience (now somewhat distant) as a programmer, analyst, and database administrator.  When I did my career switch, which turned out to be a semi-switch, to speech and language pathology I ended up having some focus on assistive technology in that realm and then expanded into blindness and low-vision areas when I came to work at the Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind a few years back.  Since then I've been doing quite a bit of freelance work for the Technology Tutor Network of the Virginia Department for the Blind and Visually Impaired (DBVI).

One of the things that's now coming to the fore is that accessibility is no longer an afterthought, but organizations are trying to design it in from the start.  So, that leads to my first question:   What are the standards, conventions, and other resources those of you involved in software development would point someone to who's trying to get a grasp on what is involved in "designing in accessibility" from the get go?  There are probably resources that you all may know about that I certainly do not, at least not yet.

I have also been asked to assist with accessibility testing, which I am willing to do, but even I realize that as a sighted user of a screen reader that I am not, by far, the most skilled nor the most realistic model as far as this goes.  It would seem that there is a huge business potential for accessibility testing by those who actually use screen reading software as their primary access method to the computer and to the internet.   If anyone knows of either established organizations or individuals who are doing this sort of work freelance, would you please share this information with me either via private message or on the group?

I just received a call from the head of the DBVI Technology Tutor Network and we had a lengthy discussion of both of these things.   I realized that I do not have the degree of expertise in either one of these arenas that many who participate on this group may have.  I will pass along the information I receive unless a specific request that such not be shared is made.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

After all, a democracy based solely on the values of the majority, with no overriding ethical principles and processes, is nothing more than clubhouse democracy, great for those on the inside and a tyranny for those who fail to see eye to eye with the majority.

~ Paul Noeldner, May 16, 2007 

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.