Re: In-Process 15th May

Mallard <mallard@...>

Thanks Quentin.

Italian OneCore voices are both terrible, but the male voice, which is the default one in NVDA right now, is really unbearable.

They both speak in a very unnatural way. I'm a lover of Eloquence and Espeak (mainly Espeak), because all Italian quality voices in Windows tend to have some sort of foreign accents.

I don't care so much for the sound of the voice, as for the prosody and intonation, and the way they interpret punctuation.

Eloquence is by far the best from this point of view, followed by Espeak.

Not even Vocalizer Express is as good, in my opinion.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 15/05/2018 11:31, Quentin Christensen ha scritto:
Ok firstly to help you now:

1. Open your NVDA general preferences (NVDA+CONTROL+G)
2. TAB to "Use currently saved settings on the logon and other secure screens" (or the Italian equivalent thereof)
3. Press ENTER to activate that button, and then alt+y to OK the UAC dialog which appears.

Now you should have the same voice on the logon screen as you do regularly.

No re the Italian OneCore voice, has this always been a problem, or is it new?  My version of Windows is offering me two Italian languages to install Italiano (Italia) and Italiano (Swizzera).  If you install both (and their speech packs), it should give you access to extra voices.  You can leave everything set as it is and just access the extra voices in NVDA if you want, so it shouldn't affect anything else. That could be worth trying in case the other voices are any better.

Otherwise, can you give me some ideas and examples of the problems with Italian?  I can't do much except report them on to Microsoft, and I would encourage you to do the same.  You can press WINDOWS+F to open the feedback centre.  I'm sure anyone can do that (in Windows 10).

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 5:56 PM, Mallard <mallard@kimabe.eu <mailto:mallard@kimabe.eu>> wrote:

Hello,

Yes, it's the OneCore that sounds horrible!

It comes up at the Windows Logon, and it sounds awful...

I tried to change it, but it still comes up. When NVDA is loaded,
hen, my defaullt synth speaks normally.
Ciao,
Ollie

Il 15/05/2018 09:23, Quentin Christensen ha scritto:

Olle,

Do you mean OneCore sounds horrible in Italian, or the current
version of eSpeak NG?

Re changing the synthesizer, eSpeak NG is still included, it's
just that OneCore is the default in Windows 10.  If that is
problematic, we'll have to look into it, though of course, as
regularly discussed here, eSpeak NG is not perfect either!

Quentin.

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 5:05 PM, Mallard <mallard@kimabe.eu
<mailto:mallard@kimabe.eu> <mailto:mallard@kimabe.eu
<mailto:mallard@kimabe.eu>>> wrote:

    Except for the Italian voices, which sound terrible.
That's not so
    much the voice qualiti itself, but the accent. It sounds like
    someone who has trouble speaking; someone who's had a
stroke, or
    something... Really disgraceful!

    Is there a way to change it back to Espeak?

    Thanks, ciao,

    Ollie

    Il 15/05/2018 07:42, Rosemarie Chavarria ha scritto:

        Hi, Quentin,

        Wow, that's neat about the one-core voices being the
default
        voices now. I like e-speakbut the one-core voices
sound more
        natural.

        Rosemarie

            HI everyone,

            This week's In-Process is out, and it includes
some of the
            goodness you can expect from NVDA 2018.2, plus an
update
            on our first Certified Expert in India and a
hat-tip to
            our Windows Insiders

            All at:
https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-15th-may-2018/
<https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-15th-may-2018/>

<https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-15th-may-2018/
<https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-15th-may-2018/>>

            #NVDAsr

            --             Quentin Christensen
            Training and Support Manager

            Official NVDA Training modules and expert
certification
            now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org>
<http://www.nvaccess.org>