Re: problems upgrading to latest next versions

I skipped go here. I rolled back to regular 1803. I was on the Windows Insiders program. I was able to run the upgrade this morning fine. Now, there are other issues which have nothing to do with this, and I'll hunt them down as I go.

On 5/17/2018 4:29 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Can you create a portable version from a download of the most recent version?
If yes then try running that and making an installed copy from it. As I recall it then asks if you want to keep existing settings etc. If that fails then something is very wrong. I've seen locked files cause this looking at the log. Although its supposedly been fixed, the new system  saves files to a different directory and renames the old ones in use and tries to delete these. Sometimes it just gets stuck.
In the end, manually removing  old files in the nvda folders seems to fix the problem for while at least. I see this on windows 7.
There are usually two folders  one for 64 bit and one for 32 bit back ends that cause it. Try deleting the stuff with the oldest  name. If as I suspect it says files in use, then the only way I found to get them out of the way is to reboot windows, go to a portable version. Clean out the clutter, and then try to reinstall.
Unfortunately I had thought it was only myself who had this issue. An associate issue is that the same can occur with the log file when it tries to restart nvda. There is an invisible error which comes up after the running copy terminates but before the new one starts saying that the log file cannot be written to. It is of course being renamed at this point so its obvious this fails and without anyway to log stuff, nvda just stops there.
The way out is esc, then a reboot of nvda from the shortcut.

If its any other cause of course it is unknown to me, but logically its easy to imagine that files get out of sync and cause troubles. I had a similar issue with another piece of software the other day, and fixed it by a reboot, clean out manually then a reinstall and a manual copy of the parameters file.
Messy.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.