Re: Question about Web Browsing

Deborah Armstrong <debee@...>

This discussion kind of evolved in to talking about browsing with Amazon, but I have some more general ideas. First, do make sure you have IE, Chrome and FireFox and Edge, available and updated, and depending on which pages you visit most often, make the default browser the one that works best with those pages. Be flexible about trying that page with a different browser. Also be sure you keep NVDA updated as well.
Second, remember that sighted people struggle too. My sighted husband was just complaining about Facebook last night; he has to use it for a group he manages. He said he was trying to scroll down to post something on the calendar, and little videos would pop up and play each time he scrolled. It was driving him crazy. He also has issues with the Yahoo groups interface that though not identical to mine are equally tedious and time-wasting.
Third, you can always vote with your fingertips. If I find something difficult to buy on Amazon I use iBOOKS instead of Kindle, Walmart for tangible goods, or even an accessible site like BlindMiceMart. Amazon at least has the dedicated customer service number for disabilities.
Fourth, Make sure you have the JAWS demo, if you need to check something that NVDA is apparently not able to read. I find that NVDA usually reads more than JAWS but every once in a while, something has been scripted for JAWS that makes it possible for JAWS to read it. Also you can use the JAWS touch cursor through the keyboard and that can help locate things.

Fifth: If you have an app like Seeing AI or KNFB Reader, you can get pretty good screen OCR. If you have One-drive you can press Print-Screen and have screen shots saved to your one-drive so you can either try to OCR them or have sighted help look at them for you later.
Sixth: NVDA's object nav works a lot like Cobra, so be sure you practice using it, mostly with applications you are familiar with in the first place.  I find Brailling each keystroke on a separate notecard, so I can flip through a stack of cards, rather than alt-tabbing to a list of keyboard shortcuts to be easier, especially if I'm using object nav and don't want to disturb the screen.