Re: Problems with NVDA and latest Windows 10 1803

Angela Delicata

Thank you for your reply: I think nvda is getting more and more closer to Jaws and I would dare to say  it is very very good now... I am using it full time and don't feel the need for Jws at all...

I don't no with specific software, but i know friends of mine who use it at workplace also, nvda I mean.

Il 22/05/2018 17:07, Ervin, Glenn ha scritto:
Hi Angela,
I think Linux and Apple both suffer the loss to Microsoft.
Just like with the old video tapes, one has to win out, and it may not be the best one.
I think that Linux is superior to Windows in many ways, although like NVDA, Orca is not as robust as JFW.
But most of the software we use in Linux is free.
I think that many of us who are getting Mom & Dad or Grandma and Grandpa their first computer would do well to get them a computer with Ubuntu, especially if they are not visually impaired.
They can more safely browse the web and still do their eMail and play those card games.
Or I think that if they had an XP machine or will soon need to replace their Windows 7 machine, you can install Ubuntu on that old computer alongside of their old windows and they will be happy and more secure.
Glenn

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Angela Delicata
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 9:59 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problems with NVDA and latest Windows 10 1803

Hi Glen,

I am very interested: please, speak about linux and how accessible it
is... I have never used it and don't know many blind folks who use this
system... If you say it is so good, I wonder why so  few people use it I
mean I know quite a lot of blind folks and they have  Apple and Windows,
but Linumx is not so much used. Why is is so?

Tell me, i am curious because I would like to learn to use it in the future.

Thank you so much.

Best.

Angela from Italy

Il 22/05/2018 16:21, Ervin, Glenn ha scritto:
I think that many who don't like Microsoft's changes will try and find that they like Linux.
I often Use Ubuntu, and Orca is as good of a screenreader as NVDA. It comes with eSpeak, but I purchased Eloquence for 5 dollars and it is all free.
You can download an ISO image here:
https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/index.html
and you can burn it to DVD or USB and you will be surprised how much it is like Windows.
I'd say it is more like Windows than Windows is becoming.
It uses familiar keystrokes, like alt + tab and alt + F4, and the copy & paste, to mention a few.
It is more secure than Windows for sure.
It comes with Orca and you can start it by pressing Windows + S after it starts to bring up Orca.
I think we need more tools in our tool kit, and if nothing else, you can use it to retrieve your data if Windows won't boot.
After burning to disk, when it spins up and stops, it will beep, and you only need to press enter, which is for trying it without installing it.
Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Kenny
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 5:28 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Joseph, it really seems like Microsoft wishes to totally do away with the conventional Windows Desktop interface?

The future Windows OS will rely heavily on Edge to not only surf the web, but launch apps (Universal) and perform common end-user tasks (Word Processing, watching videos, listening to music etc.) No more minimizing Windows. No more switching from Desktop to Start button, to Tasks bar. Microsoft Edge will be the parent node for everything that occurs in Windows.

So you will no longer need to close Windows, but "Tabs" to unload/dismiss open programs/sites/projects.

Is that what the future holds for Windows users?

Looks like they learned from their mistake of removing the conventional Start button in the original Windows 10 release. They're taking a spoon fed approach to getting rid of the Desktop interface this time LOL.

On 5/16/2018 1:04 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi Roger and others,
I knew this day would come (smiles to himself)...
The following describes a Windows 10 feature under active development. Thus, what I say below may change without notice, and feature availability will depend on maturity of the feature in question:

A set is a grouping of apps into tabs designed to package related activities together. Previously, if you wanted a tabbed app usage experience, you had to use web browsers and certain apps that does support tabs (Notepad++ is one of them). Sets changes this in a major way: you'll be able to run apps inside Microsoft Edge tabs.

When you run an app with Sets on, you'll see (or feel) several new screen controls that invite you to open a new tab, a list of tabs will be shown, and a button that offers to restore previously opened tabs. The actual app content will be housed inside a Microsoft Edge container window, similar to what happens now when you use certain apps with Windows My People (Version 1709).

While an app is running inside a Sets window, press Control+Windows+T to open a new "tab". This new tab window (from Microsoft Edge) consists of typical new tab content, as well as an embedded Cortana search box that lets you search for things such as another app to open. After searching for things via this search box, press Enter to open an app or a file. The Edge new tab content is replaced by app screen, and a new tab, representing the just opened app, will be listed in tabs list.

To move between app tabs, press Control+Windows+Tab or Control+Windows+Shift+Tab. To switch to a particular app tab (provided that you know the app position), press Control+Windows+number row key. To close an app, press Control+Windows+W, and to close everything in one go, press Alt+F4.

You may have noticed a familiar pattern: if you're using a web browser that supports tabbed browsing, the commands to switch between app tabs are nothing more than switching between browser tabs, except that you would add the Windows key to the mix.

But that's not all Sets can do and change:

* In Timeline (Task View in Version 1803 and later), Windows will list previously opened set and offer to restore all app tabs in one go.
* When you pres Alt+Tab, you'll be able to cycle through Edge tabs and other windows. This is because, in reality, app tabs are apps running inside Edge container window, so will be treated as switching between apps. You can change it so that Alt+Tab will let you cycle between app windows instead, which means only the focused app in a set will be visible.
* You can ask Windows to open things you click from one app in another window or a tab. For example, if you click a link in outlook, Windows will either open the link in a new browser window or a new Edge tab.

There are practical consequences as a result of using Sets:

* Tabbed File Explorer: you'll be able to view multiple folders and drives in one sitting.
* Writing papers and viewing research results: you can have an app tabs set where you have Word or Libreoffice Writer open and a collection of Edge tabs with research data.
* Updating currency conversion formula in Excel: you can have a workbook open in Excel while using latest currency conversion results from Calculator app and update your spreadsheet accordingly.
* Testing accessibility of an app while debugging it via Python Console: you'll be able to open a set where one tab is NVDA's own Python Console and the other one could be an app you're actively testing.

Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> <nvda@nvda.groups.io><mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Roger Stewart
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 9:31 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>

Can you please explain what is meant by "the new feature of sets" and how do I find this and turn it on? Also, why would I need it on? Does it help with screen reader accessibility?

Thanks.

Roger

On 5/16/2018 11:00 AM, Gene wrote:
That is only true if a lot of users, sighted users, get annoyed enough to matter. A lot of the changes that inconvenience blind users until they learn how to use them may be intuitive and quickly understood by sighted users. and, in the case of screen-reader problems, sighted people wouldn't have any of those problems. Also, as in the new feature of sets, they may not be on by default. As I recall what I read, sets is off by default.

But every time a new major update to Windows comes out, I see enough blind users have problems that I'm in no hurry to get Windows 10. Even if the problems are temporary, such as screen-reader problems that are dealt with not too long after the upgrade, Windows 10 has nothing I want that justifies even relatively minor inconveniences time after time.

I'll get it when I get a new computer. I won't upgrade a machine that is working very well with an earlier version of Windows.

Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io<mailto:bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 10:47 AM

I think the one thing I'm really annoyed about is that Microsoft keep on
fiddling with things that used to work and making them not work. I have
actually given up on 10 as a working platform, unless Microsoft can simply
provide a system stable and just with security updates like windows 7. They
are not doing themselves any good by bringing out new versions of windows
every6 months or so in my view, they are going to make Windows 7 into the
keep hold of system just like XP if they are not more careful. Fine have new
features but do not change the whole concept and still call it windows 10.
that is just silly. That is my feeling after being exposed to their messing
about. its as if the developers who used to regularly screw up Skype have
been let loose on the innards of Windows!
Hides behind sofa. Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk<mailto:bglists@blueyonder.co.uk>
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk<mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk>, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
From: "Steve Nutt" <steve@comproom.co.uk<mailto:steve@comproom.co.uk>>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>>
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 3:44 PM

Oh and isn't it time NVDA installed Win 10 essentials automagically if Win
10 is detected? New users shouldn't certainly have to go hunting for
addons
for their screen reader.

All the best

Steve

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> <nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: 16 May 2018 15:43

Hi,

I just downloaded Win 10 essentials stable today, but it doesn't seem to
make much difference.

I must play a bit more.

All the best

Steve

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> <nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Brian's Mail
list account via Groups.Io
Sent: 16 May 2018 13:17

I expect Joseph will be along soon to ask about the version of win 10
essentials you have, but have you tried the pre release master snap?
If that fails too then somebody in the development team needs to try to
isolate what makes some machines work and others not.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk<mailto:bglists@blueyonder.co.uk>
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk<mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk>, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
From: "Steve Nutt" <steve@comproom.co.uk<mailto:steve@comproom.co.uk>>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>>
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 12:31 PM

Hi Jacob,

I have three machines here, all on 1803. None of them work at all
well with NVDA in Windows 10, in fact, File Explorer is pretty much
unusable, as is Outlook.

At this point, I'm glad I have JAWS as well. But I don't know why
NVDA is so broken with 1803, more so than JAWS.

All the best

Steve

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io> <nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> On Behalf Of Jacob
Kruger
Sent: 16 May 2018 09:10

Steve, this sounds almost like an iteration of what I was mentioning -
it seems to fluctuate/vary quite a bit on/off on my one windows 10
1803 machine, which is a lenovo laptop, whereas on my slightly lower
hardware specification desktop machine, that does however have a solid
state operating system drive in it, it actually seems to react a bit
more consistently, in terms of reading out list items, like in file
explorer, to me, and, this is with both of them running windows 10
1803 pro 64 bit, and, currently both running NVDA master snapshot.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
"Resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."

On 5/16/2018 10:03 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:

Hi,

I recently reported that Outlook message lists were not reading for me.

It is in fact worse than that, lists in general don't seem to be reading.
For example, File Explorer in Windows 10 is completely silent for me now.

JAWS is reading lists quite happily.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Tel: +44(0)1438-742286

Mob: +44(0)7956-334938

Fax: +44(0)1438-759589

Email: <mailto:steve@comproom.co.uk> steve@comproom.co.uk<mailto:steve@comproom.co.uk>

Web: <http://www.comproom.co.uk/> http://www.comproom.co.uk

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.