Re: Problems with NVDA and latest Windows 10 1803

Angela Delicata

Thank you for your reply: I think nvda is getting more and more closer to Jaws and I would dare to say  it is very very good now... I am using it full time and don't feel the need for Jws at all...

I don't no with specific software, but i know friends of mine who use it at workplace also, nvda I mean.

Il 22/05/2018 17:07, Ervin, Glenn ha scritto:
Hi Angela,
I think Linux and Apple both suffer the loss to Microsoft.
Just like with the old video tapes, one has to win out, and it may not be the best one.
I think that Linux is superior to Windows in many ways, although like NVDA, Orca is not as robust as JFW.
But most of the software we use in Linux is free.
I think that many of us who are getting Mom & Dad or Grandma and Grandpa their first computer would do well to get them a computer with Ubuntu, especially if they are not visually impaired.
They can more safely browse the web and still do their eMail and play those card games.
Or I think that if they had an XP machine or will soon need to replace their Windows 7 machine, you can install Ubuntu on that old computer alongside of their old windows and they will be happy and more secure.
Glenn

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Angela Delicata
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 9:59 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problems with NVDA and latest Windows 10 1803

Hi Glen,

I am very interested: please, speak about linux and how accessible it
is... I have never used it and don't know many blind folks who use this
system... If you say it is so good, I wonder why so  few people use it I
mean I know quite a lot of blind folks and they have  Apple and Windows,
but Linumx is not so much used. Why is is so?

Tell me, i am curious because I would like to learn to use it in the future.

Thank you so much.

Best.

Angela from Italy

Il 22/05/2018 16:21, Ervin, Glenn ha scritto:
I think that many who don't like Microsoft's changes will try and find that they like Linux.
I often Use Ubuntu, and Orca is as good of a screenreader as NVDA. It comes with eSpeak, but I purchased Eloquence for 5 dollars and it is all free.
You can download an ISO image here:
https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/index.html
and you can burn it to DVD or USB and you will be surprised how much it is like Windows.
I'd say it is more like Windows than Windows is becoming.
It uses familiar keystrokes, like alt + tab and alt + F4, and the copy & paste, to mention a few.
It is more secure than Windows for sure.
It comes with Orca and you can start it by pressing Windows + S after it starts to bring up Orca.
I think we need more tools in our tool kit, and if nothing else, you can use it to retrieve your data if Windows won't boot.
After burning to disk, when it spins up and stops, it will beep, and you only need to press enter, which is for trying it without installing it.
Glenn