Re: Problems with NVDA and latest Windows 10 1803

Richard Wells

I suppose the next question is, why are some having problems with NVDA and UIA and others are not? If we could find that common thread, we would know if it is a Windows issue or an NVDA problem.

On 5/22/2018 11:37 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
Hi Jackie,

No malware here, according to various things. I have Malwarebytes, but I don't run it automatically, I only scan when I need to.

No bloat on these custom machines, I know what I'm doing.

So I suspect it's a Microsoft/UIA/NVDA miscommunication thing, especially as I said, JAWS works fine, but JAWS doesn't rely on UIA alone.

All the best

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jackie
Sent: 22 May 2018 16:59
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problems with NVDA and latest Windows 10 1803

Yeah, & this was something I was gonna ask Steve to do, ie, download frst64.exe & run it so I could see what apps were running. I wanted to see if a reinstall might help first, though, because Steve doesn't know me all that well, & the program might provide me w/insights he'd rather I not have. But it would be interesting to see if perhaps there were bloat/mal/pup-ware on the machines that was taking up resources.

Hi all,

To Steve: thanks for testing this.

To everyone else: Steve’s reply confirms suspicions raised by some folks:
UIA miscommunication. UIA slowing down can be caused by anything, the
most notable ones being a flood of events and a long-running task that
blocks UIA from helping NVDA. I’m thinking that somehow, there are
apps that uses a lot of resources or fires many UIA events to a point
UIA stalls. One possible way to resolve this is closing apps via Task
Manager (although that might not respond well if tasks use a lot of resources).

Regarding this problem, if I remember conversations between developers
correctly (on Gitter), Microsoft and NV Access had many conversations
regarding this matter. Although Microsoft did fix UIA issues in recent
Windows 10 releases, both entities acknowledge that there are problems
to be resolved.

Cheers,

Joseph

*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>