Re: About Linux

Devin Prater

Sonar is being merged into Vinux, which is moving over—I think they still plan this—to Fedora. I’d recommend Fedora, as it uses Gnome, the latest available and working packages, and is generally stable and pretty accessible.
My opinion: I like the idea of Linux, but I don’t think it is as user friendly as Windows and Mac yet. Want Braille? Brltty is rather tricky to get working with Orca, and you have to ask people on IRC about that, #accessibility on irc.talkabout.cf.
Want Orca to do all the cool things NVDA does? I quote: “Make it yourself and stop complaining.”
If you like working things out, and are socially inclined and able to work around the “Linux is best, everyone else are evil greedy corporations especially Apple because you can’t view the source code and can’t run what Apple doesn’t want you to run, so they must be spying on you. And even though we only use Linux and Android, Apple and Windows must have worse interfaces, and most blind people don’t use Linux because they want it to work like JAWS and they complain all the time” mentality pervasive on that IRC server, where even things like Vim verses Emacs is still an issue, Linux may well work for you. I’m not trying to be negative about the people there, most of the time its a nice place until some one comes in using Mac or Windows, even if they use free software on top of their operating systems. End opinion.
Another problem is getting Linux onto the computer at all. For Acer folks, you have to go into the bios and turn on the f12 boot menu, and make sure you can boot into removable media from there as well.

On May 22, 2018, at 12:47 PM, Ervin, Glenn <glenn.ervin@...> wrote:

To try to wrap up my info on this list,
Here are some links using Orca on YouTube.
The first one is Orca preferences in Sonar, which is a distro of Linux that is customized to work with Orca, and comes up talking.
I think Sonar uses Arch Linux.
This one needs the volume up, as it is hard to hear:
Here’s an article not YouTube, on the accessible Linux distros.
I would put Ubuntu at the top of the list, but it is not at the top of this list.
Since this is a couple of years old, Ubuntu comes with Mate desktop, not Unity as mentioned in this list.
The only thing I don’t like about Vinux and Sonar is that is a bit challenging for a beginner to get Eloquence going on them.
Also, they use older Kernels.
Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io[mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ervin, Glenn
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 12:08 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] About Linux

Here’s a little more, in case others are wondering about getting around in Linux…
Glenn

I usually set it to laptop mode, and I use the caps-lock with U I O for prior, current, and next line And J K L For words And M comma  and period For letters.
I believe the numberpad works that way too.
Alt F2 is like tapping the windows key in Windows.
Alt + F1 brings up the programs list, there are three columns, system, places, and accessories, which is where you find common programs, like FireFox and eMail programs.
You can use the applications key like you do in Windows too.
Alt + Tab between windows and alt + F4 to close.
Control + alt + D puts you on the desktop.
Just tab around in programs like Windows.
Control + Alt + T
Puts you in the command-line.
Exit gets you out.
You need to type sudo before each command, or to stay in "administrator", type:
Sudo su or sudo -s
Then you will have to exit sudo and exit again to exit terminal.

Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 11:55 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] About Linux

I have some info on the Orca screenreader list as well, here’s  links for the list:
Glenn
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2018 7:00 AM
Send orca-list mailing list submissions to

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to

You can reach the person managing the list at

Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 11:18 AM
Subject: [nvda] About Linux

Hi,
There are many distro’s of Linux that work with Orca the screenreader, so I don’t want to keep this thread going on this list, since it’s off-topic.
But I will mention that I like Ubuntu and that is the most popular distribution in use over all.
I do subscribe to a Ubuntu list, and there is an Orca list as well.
Folks can eMail me off list for help getting started.
And here is some information on the Ubuntu list.
I suspect that if you follow the link to the Ubuntu list and put subscribe in the subject, you might get subscribed.
It is a low-traffic list.
Info below.
Glenn --
Ubuntu-accessibility mailing list

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.