Re: What will be with Espeak NG?

Quentin Christensen

Hi Marco,

Actually we don't develop eSpeak to begin with.  We use eSpeak NG which has a GitHub repository and is open source, just like NVDA: https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng

We are still including eSpeak NG with NVDA.  We are just changing the default synthesizer when you install it on Windows 10, to the Windows OneCore voices.  From talking with users, and importantly, with people who don't use NVDA (and why), we found that a lot of people "Like NVDA, but the voice is very robotic".  As much as we would encourage people to explore the settings and find a setup that works for them, the truth is, people, particularly when testing something new, will first try the default setup, and if something is too jarring (as eSpeak NG is for some users), they may stop using it and not come back, even though if they were using Windows 10, there are more human sounding voices available on their system.

So, for NVDA 2018.2, we are making Windows OneCore voice the default on Windows 10, but we will still bundle eSpeak with NVDA, and we know many advanced users will switch back to it, and that is fine.  Note if you already have NVDA installed and upgrade to NVDA 2018.2, it won't change what you have setup.

I hope that answers your question, but if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 5:57 PM, Marco Oros <marco.oros93@...> wrote:
I have heard, that default synthesizer will be Windows Onecore and not Espeak NG. I have a question.
NVDA team will stop implement new versions of Espeak? Or, why this thing were happened?
Thank You.
Marco Oros

--
Quentin Christensen