Re: About Linux

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

Good post. That said, I don't know how much things have changed, but when I was using a Linux box in 2008 or so, I had a hell of a battle with orca. Always crashing. And Gnome was the only desktop GUI environment it actually worked in. Someday I'd like to give it another go, as I really like Linux in theory -- just seemed to be spending more time trying to fix things than actually accomplishing stuff with the oS.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Antony Stone
Sent: May 23, 2018 4:58 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] About Linux

You do not have to use the command line on Linux unless you want to.

There are many distributions which provide a graphical environment from the default installation, and although you can open a command shell to type things if you want to, you can do this in MS Windows too - it doesn't mean that you have to.

There are Linux distributions with accessible installers providing speech output, and there is a screenreader (Orca) for working with both Braille and speech for graphical applications.

You cannot install NVDA or other MS Windows applications under Linux, but you can't install them under Mac OSX either. That doesn't mean a Mac is worse than Windows - it just means they're different from each other.

It doesn't mean you can't install Firefox - you just have to install the Linux or OSX version instead of the Windows version. It does mean you cannot use NVDA, but you can use another screenreader instead (Orca for Linux, Voiceover for Mac OSX).

Linux is different. Mac OSX is different. Some people prefer them; it's a personal choice.

Please don't mislead people by suggesting that they are worse just because you can't install the same applications as you can on Windows. You might just as well say that Windows is worse than Linux because it doesn't support all the Linux applications that are available.

Antony.

On Wednesday 23 May 2018 at 10:44:01, zahra wrote:

hello.
i wished to use linux,
but if it was exactly the same with windows!
i realy hate terminal,
i even cant use cmd on windows and prefer wizard and gui interface
that i can have my selection, rather than memorizing hundreds of
codes!
if i could install nvda and other softwares which i use on windows, in
linux, and i could do installation of softwares and other usual tasks
without terminal and command line, certainly i said goodbye to windows
and migrate to linux.
but unfortunately,
i believe that linux is not user friendly and becomes not, at least
for many years!

On 5/23/18, Brandon Cross <bcross3286@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm sorry, but if that's the impression you have, you are much mistaken.
This is not only advisable, it can be dangerous. Stop and think
about it for a second. Why would they make an operating system where
you had to type one command before any other command you type?
Doesn't make sense, does it? Also, remember that you are
authenticating each time you do this, even though it may be set up
so that you don't need to use your password each and every time,
which ever command you use with sudo gets elevated to root status. A
little reading will tell you all you need to know. I don't like it
when people spread information that could harm other people's
machines or harm them in some way, accidentally is one thing, but if
you just say oh its ok, you're being intentionally ignorant. Then,
what happens if someone inexperienced comes along and sees this and
tries it, maybe nothing, maybe they type sudo rm -rf * from the root directory, then bye bye machine.
--
I want to build a machine that will be proud of me.

- Danny Hillis, creator of The Connection Machine

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.