Re: About Linux

Tyler Wood

The gui version of linux is similar to windows 95, featuring crashes. Nobody really works on Orca because 0.001% of the user base is visually impaired. Things will not read, you are forced to use the terminal, which of course does and should work 100%.

Linux is great for servers, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy for the average consumer's every day OS. JMT, though. Whatever works for folks and the like.

On 23-May-2018 9:36 AM, Devin Prater wrote:
I don’t have issues with the terminal. I use Emacs for goodness sake, and love most console programs, but most users find the terminal complicated and obscure, and I can tell you that you will need it, especially as a visually impaired person.

On May 23, 2018, at 8:23 AM, JM Casey <crystallogic@...> wrote:

Well, unlike that other poster over there (:P), I never had any issue with using the terminal, although my only previous experience had been logging into a shell via Telnet from a Dos machine in the mid 90s. However I remember a lot of my time using the Linux box I had set up in 2008 was also spent reading man pages.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io[mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Devin Prater
Sent: May 23, 2018 9:00 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] About Linux

You will always need the terminal for something. Something breaks? You’ll find guides with terminal instructions. Of course, some of it can be just copied and pasted, but most of it most be customized for your system, your files, your initialization scripts, and so on. I’m just trying to give the facts as they are, not say Linux is bad because it isn’t, but it does require that you know at least how to use the terminal, and what files you have, where they are, and an understanding of the structure of your file system.

On May 23, 2018, at 7:55 AM, JM Casey <crystallogic@...> wrote:

Good post. That said, I don't know how much things have changed, but when I was using a Linux box in 2008 or so, I had a hell of a battle with orca. Always crashing. And Gnome was the only desktop GUI environment it actually worked in. Someday I'd like to give it another go, as I really like Linux in theory -- just seemed to be spending more time trying to fix things than actually accomplishing stuff with the oS.