Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] About Linux

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

I'm sorry, this really shouldn't be here, but typing sudo before every command is *not* necessary.  As I said before, the only time the sudo command is needed is when you're running a system command.  General programs, (which most are), does not require a sudo command.  Sudo is only used when you're configuring the system, or doing something that requires root access, which is generally only when you're changing configuration files, or installing programs to the /usr/bin or /usr/sbin directories.  There are very few reasons to use sudo, and if you're using it before every command, then you're using it incorrectly.

On 5/22/2018 3:08 PM, Ervin, Glenn wrote:

Well, it is only open while I have the terminal open, and it is no more dangerous than using the windows “run as administrator” option that is in the applications menu.

Also, that is not messed up, anytime you type a command in Linux, you need to type sudo in front of it, unless you unlock it with sudo su or sudo –s.

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brandon Cross
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2018 2:02 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] About Linux

Well, if you have to type sudo before each command, something is seriously messed up with your file permissions, you should be able to write anywhere in your own home directory. Also, telling someone to su into root is just downright dangerous, you could make sweeping changes with one command that could break the entire machine. Sudo is an administrative thing, it elevates your priveleges to do a command, and only that command, think of it like the secure UAC thing in windows, it elevates that program to administrative level until it finishes, like installers. Having programs permanently elevated to administrative level is dangerous, as it leaves the computer open to attack.

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.