Re: About Linux

Mallard

Hello guys,

I didn't want to participae in this discussion, because it's O.T. here, but I've followed the thread with quite a bit of interest.

I tried to use Linux many times over the last 20 years, more or less successfully depending on times and distros.

At the moment I don't have a Linux installation on my machine, but I'd like to go back to it.

Since I saw there are a number of very savvy Linux users here, could any of them help me choose the most suitable distro for my current pc?

If anyone is willing to help, please contact me off-list at

mallard@kimabe.eu

and I can give you details. I don't want to continue tuis O.T. here.

Ciao, thanks in advance,

Ollie

Il 23/05/2018 16:22, Antony Stone ha scritto:
So long as you trust yourself never to make a mistake when you have admin /
root privilege on the machine, then by all means use your own computer in this
way.

However, there are good reasons why almost all Linux documentation referring
to the use of the root account or the su / sudo commands advises not to work
with this level of privilege on the machine for longer than necessary, simply
as a method of damage limitation.

A standard user can only damage their own files and not any part of the system.

The root user can damage everything.

Antony.

On Wednesday 23 May 2018 at 16:16:26, Ervin, Glenn wrote:

My Linux computers go nowhere outside the home, and I have an up-to-date
firewall in my up-to-date router, so I think unless one is in coffee shops
with it, you can remove all such things. I turn off the password at log-in
too.
Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brandon
Cross Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 12:33 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [nvda] About Linux

I'm sorry, but if that's the impression you have, you are much mistaken.
This is not only advisable, it can be dangerous. Stop and think about it
for a second. Why would they make an operating system where you had to
type one command before any other command you type? Doesn't make sense,
does it? Also, remember that you are authenticating each time you do this,
even though it may be set up so that you don't need to use your password
each and every time, which ever command you use with sudo gets elevated to
root status. A little reading will tell you all you need to know. I don't
like it when people spread information that could harm other people's
machines or harm them in some way, accidentally is one thing, but if you
just say oh its ok, you're being intentionally ignorant. Then, what
happens if someone inexperienced comes along and sees this and tries it,
maybe nothing, maybe they type sudo rm -rf * from the root directory, then
bye bye machine.