Re: What will be with Espeak NG?

Angela Delicata

This is very great news!!!

Thank you so much for your priceless work.

Angela  from Italy

On 5/23/18, Quentin Christensen <quentin@nvaccess.org> wrote:
Hi Marco,

Actually we don't develop eSpeak to begin with. We use eSpeak NG which has
a GitHub repository and is open source, just like NVDA:
https://github.com/espeak-ng/espeak-ng

We are still including eSpeak NG with NVDA. We are just changing the
default synthesizer when you install it on Windows 10, to the Windows
OneCore voices. From talking with users, and importantly, with people who
don't use NVDA (and why), we found that a lot of people "Like NVDA, but the
voice is very robotic". As much as we would encourage people to explore
the settings and find a setup that works for them, the truth is, people,
particularly when testing something new, will first try the default setup,
and if something is too jarring (as eSpeak NG is for some users), they may
stop using it and not come back, even though if they were using Windows 10,
there are more human sounding voices available on their system.

So, for NVDA 2018.2, we are making Windows OneCore voice the default on
Windows 10, but we will still bundle eSpeak with NVDA, and we know many
advanced users will switch back to it, and that is fine. Note if you
already have NVDA installed and upgrade to NVDA 2018.2, it won't change
what you have setup.

I hope that answers your question, but if you have any more questions,
please don't hesitate to ask!

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 5:57 PM, Marco Oros <marco.oros93@gmail.com> wrote:

I have heard, that default synthesizer will be Windows Onecore and not
Espeak NG. I have a question.
NVDA team will stop implement new versions of Espeak? Or, why this thing
were happened?
Thank You.
Marco Oros

--