Re: how can i change voice dictionary in nvda to espeak not announce punctuation?

Quentin Christensen

Hi Zahra,

Rather than the speech dictionary (which is designed to change how particular words are pronounced), you want to edit the "Punctuation / Symbol pronunciation" options.  Press NVDA+N, then P then find that option in the list and press ENTER to open the dialog.

You can either arrow through the list to find the punctuation to edit, if it is already there, or activate the "Add" button to add a new entry.

When you add a new entry, it asks you to type the symbol to be changed.  Do that and press ENTER.
Next you can tab to "replace" and type the word you want NVDA to read when reading that symbol.
The important one you want I think though, is "Level".  When you change the punctuation level with NVDA+P, any symbol in this list will get read if it's level is at least as high as the current symbol level.  EG if you set the symbol level of a symbol to "Most", When NVDA is set to symbol level none, or some, it won't be read out, but if it is set to most or all, it will be.

See how you go and if that helps.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 8:10 PM, zahra <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
as i said before,
i use nvda 2016.4 forever.
but it does not matter, i have this issue since nvda 2016.2 (which
changed to espeak ng).
i know that i should find speech dictionaries and find voice dictionary.
then press enter on add button and in the pattern type my punctuation
which i dont want to hear in sayAll,
then what exactly should i type in replacement that nvda never does
not announce this punctuation at all when using sayAll and i hear it
only when i need editing documents by navigating letter by letter?

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain