From: "Dr. J. michael jones" <j.michaeljones@live.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2018 1:22 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Best Synthesizer

Thank you very much of course are use eloquence with jaws but I’m trying to put together an affordable machine for people in Africa NVDA the only way to go and I’m just trying to create a better speech output then what comes with a regular Windows platform. I observe what you were saying about sluggishness also speed pitch and tone are affected as well again thanks
On May 24, 2018, at 3:11 PM, Gene <gsasner@ripco.com<mailto:gsasner@ripco.com>> wrote:

There is wide disagreement of what the best is. it's a matter of preference and taste. it's like asking what is the best frozen pizza. Do you like older synthesizers such as Eloquence or do you like newer ones, with more human sounding voices but slower responsiveness and, in my opinion, significantly degraded speech accuracy in most of them? I don't recall the names of any of the newer ones because I dislike most of them and don't use them. There are a lot of synthesizers you can try or get information about on the NVDA page devoted to this topic:
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/ExtraVoices
Also, on this page, the Eloquence add on that offers other voices as well is discussed. There is a SAPI five Eloquence available for sale which is far superior, if you are interested in Eloquence. Others can tell you more about it if you are interested. And a lot of voices available for purchase have demos.

I'll add that some people use a responsive voice for work, such as word processing and other tasks, but use one of the newer more natural voices for listening, such as when reading a book.