From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dr. J. michael jones
Sent: 24 May 2018 13:00
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Best Synthesizer

Thanks I’m confused. My question was what is the best? And I believe there is always a better maybe someone else has an opinion
On May 24, 2018, at 2:54 PM, Antony Stone <antony.stone@nvda.open.source.it> wrote:

SAPI is not a speech engine. It's a definition of a protocol enabling speech
applications (synthesis or recognition) to interface to other applications
(such as a browser).

Some synthesisers can only communicate with other applications via SAPI, some
can do SAPI plus other protocols, some don't do SAPI at all.

As Gene said, whether a synthesiser communicates using SAPI says nothing at
all about the quality of its voices.

Also, to add another answer to the original question "what is the best
sounding synthesizer that NVDA supports?", I would say it's the one you like
best and get on with best. That may not be the same as what someone else
likes. These things are a very personal choice.

Antony.

On Thursday 24 May 2018 at 13:47:29, Jaffar Sidek wrote:

Also, Sapi is a speech engine native to windows. The beauty and
flexibility of NVDA is that it allows for installation of Non-windows
synthesizer voices. Cheers!

On 5/24/2018 7:26 PM, Gene wrote:
It should be pointed out that SAPI is a way that voices communicate
with the computer. it has nothing to do with the kind of voice in
terms of its speech or general quality. sometimes, a synthesizer may
have a SAPI version and a version that isn't SAPI. There is no reason
to use or not to use a voice because it is SAPI.
Gene