Re: How do I run a portable copy of NVDA from a USB flash drive

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

Below is the restrictions of a portable version. Most people install a
copy of nvda to the computer and just use a portable when out and about
or using some one else machine.

3.1. Portable and Temporary Copy Restrictions
Apart from the inability to automatically start during and/or after
log-on, the portable and temporary copies of NVDA also have the
following restrictions:
• The inability to interact with applications running with
administrative privileges, unless of course NVDA itself has been run
also with these privileges (not recommended).
• The inability to read User Account Control (UAC) screens when trying
to start an application with administrative privileges.
• Windows 8 and later: the inability to support input from a touchscreen.
• Windows 8 and later: the inability to provide features such as browse
mode and speaking of typed characters in Windows Store apps.
• Windows 8 and later: audio ducking is not supported.

Gene nz

On 5/25/2018 1:16 PM, Richard Wells wrote:
On the advice of list members, I have re-created my portable copy
within an NVDA folder on the USB stick. I wasn't worried about the
clutter on the root of the drive, because NVDA is the only thing I use
it for. However, Jessica indicated that I would lose functionality on
security screens, so I did the deed in hopes that things would be
better there. I wasn't aware that you could get full use of elevated
prompts without installing it. If this solves that, this will be a big
discovery. You guys are great!

On 5/24/2018 7:50 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Well yes, I guess when I did that was back in some earlier form of
windows; probably 98 or xp.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene New Zealand"
<hurrikennyandopo@...>