I have had to take their devices, put them on, and change them back to speakers at times.

At worse case, get them to help me turn on the sound, or, turn on and off speakers, load drivers, doodle with things, then follow this through with a reformatĀ  to fix everything, only to find a wire or speaker is broken.

Then either buy or reorder a new wire, then the day is wasted.

On 5/26/2018 9:10 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
How this works depends on the hardware and the drivers I seem to remember. Dell machines use several different ways in different models, unfortunately. The most annoying one for me is when sightees use the machines and use all manner of ways to turn off the sound, including the screenreader which means first going through all the ways they may have used from simply turning off the speakers and pulling out theĀ  jack to tray icons turning the volume right down or worse messing with lots of settings till nothing works correctly!
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Vogel" <@britechguy>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 8:40 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] sounds ?

Danni,

If it turns out that your Windows sound output has been muted, be certain to ask your computer guy if there is a key or key sequence on your keyboard you can hit to unmute it (or to try to unmute it).

On my HP laptop, where I've turned off the "Quick Function Keys" feature so that I have access to the F keys "as God intended," the F6 key is the mute/unmute toggle. F7 is decrease volume and F8 is increase volume. All of these only serve those functions if I'm holding down the Fn key plus the previously noted key together. What's nice is even if the sound is muted, if you attempt to either increase or decrease volume it will unmute the sound as part of that.

--

*Brian* *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134

After all, a democracy based solely on the values of the majority, with no overriding ethical principles and processes, is nothing more than clubhouse democracy, great for those on the inside and a tyranny for those who fail to see eye to eye with the majority.

~ Paul Noeldner, May 16, 2007