From: "Christo de Klerk" <christodeklerk@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2018 6:20 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] OCR Solution

Hello Vlad

I bought the KNFB Reader app, but I am rather disappointed with it. It does not at all retain any semblance of formatting. It throws all the text into one ginormous paragraph. I don't think this is what you want.

Maybe you can look at the Office Lens app which is free and available for Windows 10 as well as for smart phones. It retains formatting. It supports language switching and if you are using a synthesiser which also supports language switching, different languages will be spoken correctly. The OCR quality is quite good. Even though it is free, it is better in my opinion than KNFB in every respect except for one: KNFB does the OCR on your local machine or mobile device, while Office Lens does it in the cloud. But I don't think this advantage KNFB has justifies the price. Give Office Lens a bash and see if it will work for you. It really is the best option that I am aware of.

If you can use a mobile device for your OCR, you could also try Prizmo Go which is also free and retains formatting. I am quite impressed with it.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2018/05/27 18:44, Vlad Dragomir wrote:
Dear all,

I need to find a way to transform image pdf files into text. These are mostly books that have been scanned a while ago, but I haven't had the time and patience to find a solution. Now I really need to do something about this, for professional reasons.

I found this Windows 10 app called KNFB Reader, which seems to do exactly that. However, since this is a rather expensive app, I'd like to ask those who have already used it a few things if I may:
1. How does this app deal with multi-lingual documents? Is it possible to choose two or more recognission languages for the same book? Most of my books are manuals. I am a language teacher and it is very important that both languages used in a book be accurately detected.
2. Is formatting being retained, at least in part?
3. Are there any alternatives to this application? It seems to be the only accessible solution, but I might be wrong.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me with this.

Most sincerely,

Vlad