a good response and very on the money as far as I am concerned.
Having been sighted all the points you make in your piece make perfect sense too me as what you have said is so accurate.
My regards, CJ.

On 01/06/2018 11:43, Gene wrote:
Your friend is so biased that his opinions about Window-eyes and JAWS are highly suspect.  And he so much wants something to be so that he extrapolates without considering very important factors.  Whatever happens to keyboards, some sort of ability for sighted people to do things on a screen in other means than speech will remain, touch screens, for example.  Consider some examples:

Consider reviewing a rough draft.  Which is faster?  A sighted person is not going to listen to an entire document being read, looking for alterations to make in a draft nor is he/she going to waste time telling the word processor to find the phrase, and continue speaking from the stop of the phrase until he says start to define the end of the phrase, then take some sort of action such as delete it.  If he wants to delete a phrase, what is the person going to do, move to a passage using speech, mark the start of the passage with speech, then mark the end of the passage with speech then say delete, then say insert and speak a new passage?  The same with copying and pasting from one document to another,

And such operations are also far more efficient using a keyboard.  I should add that I haven't used programs that operate a computer with speech.  If I'm wrong, and people who use such programs know I am wrong, I await correction.  That's how things appear to me.

What about file management?  Consider using speech to tell a computer you want to delete fifteen noncontiguous files in a list of two hundred.  Consider how you might do it with speech as opposed to using a keyboard.

And considerations of speed and efficiency are true when using the keyboard and a screen-reader as well.  I've mainly discussed sighted users because innovations are developed for sighted users.

Speech will become increasingly popular and powerful.  It won't replace visual access and manipulation in computers.

I don't use spread sheets but I expect those who do may point out how cumbersome it would be to use speech with a spread sheet to perform any somewhat complex series of operations with a screen-reader and some may want to comment on the visual comparison..

As for JAWS versus Window-eyes, I won't say much but it's not the fault of JAWS if the person was misled by his college advisor to learn a screen-reader that has always been a far second in terms of its use in business and institutions.  He should take his anger at FS, if he must spend so much time and energy being angry, and direct it where it belongs.  I could write paragraphs about why JAWS was dominant, some of it because it got started first in the DOS screen-reader arena, some of it because it built up all sorts of relationships with institutions, and some because it was better for more employment situations than Window-eyes.  How many years did Window-eyes refuse to use scripts and limit the functionality of the screen-reader in a stubborn attempt to distinguish itself from JAWS?  Finally, what did they do?  They used scripts, which they didn't call scripts, but apps.  They weren't apps, and language should be respected.  Words have meanings and you can't, as one of the carachters does in Through the Looking Glass, use any word to mean anything desired.

But enough.  I'll leave the discussion to others from this point unless I have something additional to add.

Sent: Friday, June 01, 2018 2:45 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] The future of NVDA

voice commands, fine, but how does your friend check what he has ordered? just a leap of faith, or a sort of screen reader which tells him, think about it.

By his closing your friend is a Trekkie, [star trec fan]

Best Regards, Jim.

Sent: Friday, June 01, 2018 5:40 AM
Subject: [nvda] The future of NVDA

Hello NVDA community. It’s Sky. I wanted to ask you guys a question.  Will NVDA be incorporating voice commands in into the screen reader? Because a friend of mine has told me that in three years everything is going to be voice activated. Yes we have dictation bridge for Voice activation, but what my friend means is that in three years, the computers, etc. will all be done via Voice activation without a keyboard. Here is what he has to say.