Re: The future of NVDA

Ron Canazzi

I also like Star Trek; what of it?

On 6/1/2018 3:45 AM, The Gamages via Groups.Io wrote:
voice commands, fine, but how does your friend check what he has ordered? just a leap of faith, or a sort of screen reader which tells him, think about it.

By his closing your friend is a Trekkie, [star trec fan]

Best Regards, Jim.

Sent: Friday, June 01, 2018 5:40 AM
Subject: [nvda] The future of NVDA

Hello NVDA community. It’s Sky. I wanted to ask you guys a question.  Will NVDA be incorporating voice commands in into the screen reader? Because a friend of mine has told me that in three years everything is going to be voice activated. Yes we have dictation bridge for Voice activation, but what my friend means is that in three years, the computers, etc. will all be done via Voice activation without a keyboard. Here is what he has to say.

Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2018 8:12 AM
To: Sky Mundell
Subject: Re: CSUN

Hi Sky,

I just received an email from my local supermarket. I do an on line shop there every week. From today I can order it via Alexa, Google home and other apps using voice only ordering.

I did say this is the way forward. With Amazon and Google competing, this voice activation is going to be the next huge thing in computing. I've said this for a while as you know. The next step is using actual programs/apps via voice activation. Just watch my friend. VFO is finished, on the way out. They won't be able to compete in an open market. Not as huge as this one. Just imagine my friend. At the moment I have my favorites in a shopping list. Think about the key strokes I need to use to get to them? Then additional items. I have to do a search of often up to 40 products with a similar name. arrowing down, tabbing down. Then adding them to my shopping basket. Going through the dates for delivery and times. Then all the key strokes in using my card details authorization process. All done with our voice. At least quarter of the time normally spent shopping This does spell the end of VFO.

Everything is going to be voice activated in the next 3 years. There isn't any other way for web developers to go.

Progress sometimes my friend is slow but when it starts, it is like a high speed jet aircraft. Nothing stands in it's way.

There will be some people who won't change. Or use both methods to carry out tasks. Now VFO have to utilize jws to act on voice commands. With Dug in Microsoft. I can see VFO being left thousands of miles behind. Then when they introduce pay monthly fees. The very fast extinction of jws and other products will come to a very sudden and dramatic halt. They may think they have the market share for programs relating of the blind. They don't any more and they are the ones who are blind and not us.

Live long and prosper, John

-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.