Re: The future of NVDA

Jackie

Here's my $.02. NVDA is designed to do 1 thing & does it reasonably
well, which is to be a *screen reader.* As such, it should certainly
work w/other software that does speech recognition, but speech
recognition should not in any way be a function of NVDA. You start
trying to incorporate too many functions into a program, & it ends up
doing none of them well.

I was hearing back in 98 how voice recognition was going to be the
bee-all & end-all for computers. Transcriptionists were going to lose
their jobs in droves, all computers would type letter-perfect when you
spoke, etc. Could you imagine an office full of cubicles where
everyone was talking to their machines? It'd be a frickin zoo! We are
certainly reaching a point where dictation to one's device is becoming
an increasing reality, but as a sight-impaired computer user, you've
still got to have something that lets you know what's onscreen. Unless
MS decides to bring Narrator beyond the level of Voiceover, or some
sort of artificial eyesight becomes a reality, (& I'd love nothing
more than to see either of those happen), you'll always need something
like NVDA.

On 6/1/18, The Gamages via Groups.Io
<james.gamage=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello Gene,

You are so correct, having been a sighted person, I agree, it is far quicker

to read a document visually than to hear it read out, the eye can assimilate

information far beyond the capabilities of the ear and far quicker.
You also explain vividly the nightmare of trying to edit with voice
commands.
I spent years learning to touch type, I learn from sighted friends and
relatives that they mainly use one or two fingers to type onto a keyboard on

a touch screen, progress?

Like most things, we are stuck with voice output to read things, as blind we

don’t have much choice, so a mixture of technologies is the way to go, we
use the things that suit our needs and leave others to do the same, I’ve
said it before, Long live NVDA.

Best Regards, Jim.