Re: The future of NVDA

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 08:55 am, Holger Fiallo wrote:
The eyes can go over all the place within seconds and look at something fast. JAWS, NVDA or another program can only go up down or left or right.
It took me a much longer time than it should have to "get" this concept that should be obvious.   Joseph Lee turned on the lightbulb in my head by using the phrase that the sighted see things like webpages as a gestalt.  We instantly and instinctively "edit out" all irrelevant information and glide our visual focus only to those things we know in advance (or decide in the moment) that we're looking for.

A screen reader, at least with both web coding (for web pages) and other AI "selection" technology being what it is today, has absolutely no way of knowing what the intent of the user is with regard to anything they're looking at.  If you're looking at a contract, for instance, via screen reader it has no idea whether you care about "the fine print" or not and must present everything as a result.  It can be, and often is, maddening even once you're used to it.

It's also interesting, at least when I'm working with someone who was formerly sighted and we have one of the voice synthesizers that really sounds human, how there is a hesitation to interrupt/cut off the screen reader voice output.  I believe this is because we're socialized that it's rude to interrupt and when something sounds sufficiently human as to be indistinguishable (or very nearly so) from same there is a reluctance to cut it off.  This is not so pronounced with the more "robotic" voices, but it is still there to some extent.  One of the first things I try to drive home is that you can, and must, get used to cutting off the screen reader once you've heard enough to determine that something's not of interest or that you need to do a much more strategic "read through" than just allowing the screen reader to start at the beginning, and with web pages that always includes lots of junk links, and continue through to the end.

I have to say that, in conjunction with screen readers, I am absolutely loving the "Just Read" extension/add-on for Chrome and Firefox, respectively.  It does the best job I've seen so far of extracting the text that I, as a sighted person, am looking for when I arrive on a webpage, removing all the links, etc., and just reading it as though I were reading it.  It's a far more natural way of listening to most text being read than having a screen reader on default settings read it.  You can always go back later to do a check for links, etc., in the screen reader itself if that seems to be warranted.