Re: Web Page navigation

Gene

This message is long but I'm not sure the material could have been adequately covered in a shorter message.

The site you are discussing is not a typical Internet site. 
First a comment or two about structures in general.  You don't open headings.  You move to them.  You follow links by pressing enter on them.  But the site you are working with has nothing but links.  That is very nonstandard.  Go to the page you asked about.  Either start reading or if you just want to see links on this page, start tabbing.  Follow links by pressing enter.  If you want to learn to work with the commands you are trying to work with, use a conventionally formatted site.  Lots of sites are more or less conventionally formatted.  But this site is so nonstandard that we can tell you how to work with this site but it is not representative of most other sites. 

Here is more information. 

On the page you gave a link for, most quick navigation keys will only give you messages such as no next heading or no next button, etc.  That's because there are none and wherever you are on the page, there are none below where you are.  The commands such as h move to the next heading below your current position.  On this page, no matter where you are, there are no headings below where you are.  There is nothing anywhere on the page but links and text. 
even at the top of the page moving down the entire page, there are none. 

All such commands, b for button, x for check box, etc. look for what they are supposed to look for moving down the page.  If they find what they are looking for, they move you to it.  If they don't find anything, you will stay where you are on the page.

I would suggest you get an NVDA tutorial and listen to sections you consider important.  A very well thought of tutorial is available here:
If you look through the page, you will see how it is organized and you will get an idea of what you want to listen to.  Some people learn better using written material but many people prefer tutorials and if you do, this is a good one.

As far as how the keys work in general, I don't know how many sites you've tried them on.  If you go to a more or less standard site, you should get responses from many of the keys. 

Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, May 13, 2016 9:01 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Web Page navigation

Hi Gene & Brian.

First of all in response to an earlier reference from Gene I must state categorically that I am a complete novice as regards NVDA.
I have heard the term "there are more than one way to skin a cat".  Well I am present not able to skin any cat.
I have read thru quite a bit of the short cut keys and they do not react to the way I expect.

That is why i submitted my originally URL http://t.digitalnewspaper.co.za/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=%40fjNSuVTurK7VzhMSOxyzIucXl%2BKsnii1IrXYxuvhTwY%3D which I list again. Gene went to a lot of trouble detailing certain key strokes. However en this led to all sort of results.
I am not all interested in any  k links. If at all possible would it not be possible to give me the simplest method,  At this stage I am only interested in opening the headings and would want the key strokes required to read such articles continuously to the end.  Is this possible?.

Regards,

William

------ Original Message ------
Sent: 2016/05/12 6:15:20 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Web Page navigation

Gene,

When the format of a given specific webpage is known, and in this case it is known to be nothing more than a list of links to articles, I don't think it's a disservice to anyone who cannot see to state that fact and to tell them that for this particular page using an elements list is the way to go.

I'm not trying to teach general principles here, but to help someone get through a very specific webpage, and its child pages.

And, yes, that's my opinion when I have a specific case under discussion, not a "how would one best go about this in the general case of an unfamiliar page."  Even then I'd encourage someone to give the elements list a look to get a quick snapshot regarding what links, headers, or landmarks might or might not be present.  There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Brian
-- 

Never underestimate the difficulty of changing false beliefs by facts. 
   ~ Henry Rosovsky

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.