Re: Voice Activation, was The future of NVDA

Sarah k Alawami

I actually dictated part of my research paper and submitted it. I had to as I speak the way I  write and it was much much easier to get my thoughts down if I spoke them. It actually came out quite well.

On Jun 1, 2018, at 2:27 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

A long time ago, when there were no personal computers, I tried dictating rough drafts of one or two college papers instead of writing the rough draft.  The quality of writing wasn't nearly as good so I wrote out the drafts and discarded what I had dictated.  I may not have dictated more than a page or two before I stopped.  When I listened to the results of my partial work, they were inferior.  I don't think it's just a question of slower work.  I think that when you write, you think differently in terms of your use of language.

You see comercials promoting dictation software showing students using it.  But this is something that should be challenged by educators and a public discussion should be had on the subject.  In my opinion, such software, advertised as a replacement for typing may be deceptive and should be challenged so we can find out.

From: ely.r@...
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2018 2:29 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Voice Activation, was The future of NVDA

Afternoon, or at least here it is.
Long time in the past, I did graduate study work on the writing process and computers. Any speech recognition work that was being done then was at Bell Labs or MIT, so there was no consideration of it as a writing tool. What I do know is that the process for experienced  writers when composing is far different than the processes we use when speaking. Keyboards or even handwriting provide humans the time to switch between long and short term memory and the time needed to use the mediating steps we use writing. Maybe that is why some folks get in trouble when they speak with no mediation, no comments about just who that might be. I fear Tweeting is more like talking than writing, lots more chance to write what you didn't quite mean.

As to brain implants, I hate the fact that forces out there are tracking every web site I visit and everything I purchase. I am not ready for Google or Amazon to be poking about in my brain. Just speaking for me, I think I could get in a great deal of trouble that way. Just saying, not thinking.
Rick

Dr. Rick Ely
TVI, Vision Consultant
451 Rocky Hill Road