Re: The future of NVDA

Sarah k Alawami

I never  went back and read the message via braille so I can personally say that the message sounded fine and I thought you typed it all. So yeah  I think dictation is the wave of the future, or maybe the way of the future? I did dictate maybe 10 percent of my college thesis as I was lazy and did not want to type it, besides I articulate how  I type anyway so no issues there.

On Jun 1, 2018, at 4:51 AM, erik burggraaf <erik@...> wrote:

Speech interfaces for computers have been commercially viable for at least 30 years. However, they're not commercially successful. Even after 30 years, 50 to 100 hours of training is required to get fully accurate voice dictation. The cost of commercial products is still exorbitantly high, because the products are built for medical markets where cost is less a factor. Computers themselves, especially desktop computers, or so complex that the number of voice commands required to fully use a computer is astronomically High. Moreover, most people are not comfortable talking to a computer. Most people in fact are not even comfortable leaving a message on somebody's voicemail. Just go check your messages. You will hear a lot of nervous stuttering. I recently conducted a training on Jaws for windows with dragon and JC. The amount of overhead required to browse the internet was so high, that the excellent business laptop bought for the purpose could not keep up. Those 3 products working in conjunction only support Windows 7, Internet Explorer, and Office 2013. They say it will work with office 2016, but don't recommend it. So, a user that requires that interface is left with a legacy operating system n secure browsing and other system factors.

Not liking vfo is just good sense. Not supporting vfo with your cash dollars is excellent policy. I'm sorry your friend is carrying a personal Grudge. It sounds like he has at least some good reason. Dispersion of light is not a great argument for the future success technology the period the fact of the matter is, voice dictation is simply not up to the level of speed, accuracy, and start-up efficiency you can get from a keyboard and mouse. Even a touch screen is far more efficient. Unless you have no access to these things because of motor or physical impairment, there's really no justification for it. Morning

To close off, let me say that I dictated this entire message, with a few stops to collect my thoughts. For demonstration purposes, I left all of the mistakes in place, so that you could see what it really looks like. I'm sure you've seen this before. It just goes to show that the keyboard is going to be around for quite a long time. Have fun, Erik

On June 1, 2018 12:41:14 AM "Sky Mundell" <skyt@...> wrote:

Hello NVDA community. It’s Sky. I wanted to ask you guys a question.  Will NVDA be incorporating voice commands in into the screen reader? Because a friend of mine has told me that in three years everything is going to be voice activated. Yes we have dictation bridge for Voice activation, but what my friend means is that in three years, the computers, etc. will all be done via Voice activation without a keyboard. Here is what he has to say.
From: bj colt [mailto:bjcolt@...]
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2018 8:12 AM
To: Sky Mundell
Subject: Re: CSUN

Hi Sky,

I just received an email from my local supermarket. I do an on line shop there every week. From today I can order it via Alexa, Google home and other apps using voice only ordering.

I did say this is the way forward. With Amazon and Google competing, this voice activation is going to be the next huge thing in computing. I've said this for a while as you know. The next step is using actual programs/apps via voice activation. Just watch my friend. VFO is finished, on the way out. They won't be able to compete in an open market. Not as huge as this one. Just imagine my friend. At the moment I have my favorites in a shopping list. Think about the key strokes I need to use to get to them? Then additional items. I have to do a search of often up to 40 products with a similar name. arrowing down, tabbing down. Then adding them to my shopping basket. Going through the dates for delivery and times. Then all the key strokes in using my card details authorization process. All done with our voice. At least quarter of the time normally spent shopping. This does spell the end of VFO.

Everything is going to be voice activated in the next 3 years. There isn't any other way for web developers to go.

Progress sometimes my friend is slow but when it starts, it is like a high speed jet aircraft. Nothing stands in it's way.

There will be some people who won't change. Or use both methods to carry out tasks. Now VFO have to utilize jws to act on voice commands. With Dug in Microsoft. I can see VFO being left thousands of miles behind. Then when they introduce pay monthly fees. The very fast extinction of jws and other products will come to a very sudden and dramatic halt. They may think they have the market share for programs relating of the blind. They don't any more and they are the ones who are blind and not us.

Live long and prosper, John