Re: "Unofficial" NVDA Add-Ons Repository

Hi,

The position of the NVDA add-ons community is that we encourage add-on authors to submit add-ons for review so they can be featured on the community add-ons website. This allows new authors to be recognized for their contributions and for folks to find add-ons more easily, and eventually, allow add-on updates from official sources (for now).

In the past, the review process for add-ons was strict. This was greatly relaxed in 2016 to check for basics only, with an option for authors to request more stringent reviews on a case by case basis. I think this may have caused authors to not submit add-ons in the past, but that’s slowly changing.

There are two more reasons (more of a technical nature) that submitting add-ons for review are encouraged (and I will go around the add-ons community to help out once more):

  1. Python 3 compatibility: the foundation is being laid to upgrade to Python 3 in the future. In terms of the add-ons community, people who will be most affected by will be those running really outdated add-ons that wasn’t edited to Python 3 standards.
  2. wxPython 4: soon, NVDA users will get a chance to test wxPython 4 code again. This impacts any add-on that relies on GUI and wxPython features for certain tasks.

There is a third reason why we encourage reviews: NVDA Core code compatibility. Some add-on authors, including I, have declared that due to various reasons, latest add-on releases (current and future) will require NVDA 2018.2 and later for optimal functionality, and usually add-on reviewers catch this quite early. Also, there will come a day when add-ons that declare themselves incompatible with a certain minimum version of NVDA will not be loaded by NVDA itself (unless overridden by developers). These changes are first applied to add-ons on official community add-ons repo, and then cascades to others.

Cheers,

Joseph