Re: browse mode

Hi Brennen and others,
Based on messages from the list archive, this is not a COM registration problem. As Sam pointed out, this may have to do with key mapping problem where you press a first letter key and Windows interprets it as something else.

Can you try the following for me please:

1. Revert to NVDA 2018.1 unless you've installed RC already.
2. Open NVDA menu (NVDA key+N), then open Tools, then select "manage add-ons".
3. See if you have any add-ons. If this is a fresh install, add-ons list will be empty, so no need to go to step 4.
4. If you have one or more add-ons, close Add-ons Manager and restart NVDA in safe mode (add-ons disabled). To do this, press NVDA+Q, then select "restart with add-ons disabled". If this solves the problem, proceed to step 5, otherwise try what Sam T suggests.
5. With NVDA restarted with add-ons turned off, go to NVDA menu/Tools/manage add-ons.
6. From add-ons list, go through each add-on, enable the item (Alt+E), then close and restart. Repeat this step for all add-ons (one by one) until the problem resurfaces.
7. In case the problem comes back after enabling a specific add-on, please write down the name of the add-on so it can be reported to the add-ons community ASAP.

In case the problem is not resolved, please do:

1. Go to NVDA general settings (NVDA menu/Preferences/General for 2018.1 and earlier, NVDA menu/Preferences/Settings/General in 2018.2, or press Control+NVDA+G).
2. Locate "logging level" combo box and set it to "debug" and press Enter to save changes.
3. Use the browser and try issuing some first letter keys.
4. After this, press NVDA+F1 and copy everything from the window that appears and send it to info@nvaccess.org as an email message. Be sure to describe what's going on and paste the log content.
5. Return to general settings and set log level to info.

In step 4, I said it should be sent to another email address because setting log level to debug causes everything you type and NVDA speaks to be logged for the world to see, and for many, this is a big concern.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Joseph
P.S. For others: I'll teach you what I just did as part of a three-part Beginning NVDA Tech Support training later in June.