Re: "Unofficial" NVDA Add-Ons Repository

On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 08:09 pm, Joseph Lee wrote:
The position of the NVDA add-ons community is that we encourage add-on authors to submit add-ons for review
Which would be ideal, if  everyone did it, but they don't for myriad reasons.

I think that most sentient adults are capable of making risk assessments and deciding whether or not they wish to take them.  Those using add-ons from other than the official repository must know, or they do now, that doing so is at your own risk (AYOR).

But, my experience with software in general far more closely mirrors that of Vlad, "non-official rarely means dangerous."   I cannot count the number of "very focused purpose" mini-utilities I've used that were developed by some individual based upon their need that later fulfilled one of mine, and perfectly and safely.

One of the big mistakes I think that both NVDA and JAWS have made is not setting up "official but unvetted" repositories for user-created add-ons/scripts.   There is just so much material out there that's been created for "odd little needs" that could so easily be shared if the mechanism existed "at the source," but it doesn't.  I got huge push-back from "the powers that be" when I started a repository (personally maintained) of repair, restoration, & other miscellaneous resources for Rolls-Royce motorcars.  The Rolls-Royce Owners' Club wouldn't touch it, saying they couldn't be responsible if any of the goods or services were found to be substandard, but it's now become a reference that's used the world over (at least if the e-mail messages I've received over time, and keep receiving, are any indication).  In this day and age there is just no excuse for not promoting information sharing so long as those on the receiving end know that they need to do their own risk assessment about its use, which they should be doing anyway for anything, and letting the chips fall where they may.  The world at large is not, and will never be, "sanitized for your protection" and one must move through the world with that always in the back of one's mind.  How far to the back will vary, greatly, depending on the situation and stakes at play.