Re: Microsoft is acquiring Github

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

Look people.
NVDA is opensource.  Microsoft can't include it into windows without a whole lot of hoopla.  It isn't going to happen.
There's thousands and thousands of projects at github.  Microsoft isn't going to include each and every project into windows, so stop speculating about it.  At this point, we don't know why microsoft is obtaining github, but we do know that of the thousands of projects there, Microsoft isn't going to have the least bit of interest in 99.99 percent of those projects, and of the ones they do have an interest in, since those projects are opensource, it's a no brainer to claim Microsoft could have ued those projects without buying the platform they're hosted on.
Buying a hosting platform does not confer ownership of the things hosted there.  Just because you host your web site with a web host, does not give the web host ownership of your website.  Same thing here, regardless of who owns github, that entity does not own the projects hosted there, and said projects are free to pick up and move anywhere at any time.  You guys need to stop with the fear mongering.  Get over it, it's a change in ownership at the moment, nothing else.  What happens after that has no bearing on the current status.
We will have to wait and see what happens.  Will they shut it down? Will they expand the capabilities of the site, trying to draw in more projects? Will they ignore it and leave it as is?
These are all questions nobody knows the answers to right now, and spreading rumors about the demise of hosted projects does nobody any good.
Perhaps this is just a bid to shutdown github, just like google shut down their code hosting site last year, again, nobody knows, and we won't know until after all is said and done.  Saying that a large commercial company is buying a code hosting site just to get at code they already have access to just like the rest of the world is just plain silly, and in the grand scheme of things is about as ludicrous as it gets.
Give it a rest already.