Re: Addint a Desktop Shortcut for Programs or Apps under Windows 10

Ervin, Glenn

I don’t make folders often enough to have known that command.

We have so many things to remember as it is in our daily lives including all the passwords and changing systems that we have to draw the line sometimes.

On the desktop and elsewhere, I just found it easier to unselect anything and use the applications key to go to “new” and then enter on “Folder”.

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2018 7:54 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Addint a Desktop Shortcut for Programs or Apps under Windows 10

I expect to see such commands documented when moving threw menus and submenus.  It should not be necessary for a skilled user, who learns a lot about Windows and programs by looking through menus and dialogs to have to look at a commands sheet when it is expected that accelerator or shortcut commands will be shown in menus. 

Also, material that I consider to be among the best produced doesn't mention this command.  I doubt that more than perhaps ten or twenty percent of blind users know this command.

Gene

----- Oreiginal Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2018 7:48 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Addint a Desktop Shortcut for Programs or Apps under Windows 10

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 05:32 pm, Gene wrote:

I'm not surprised. 

Well, I still am.   CTRL+SHIFT+N has been on Microsoft issued keyboard shortcuts lists for a very long time now.

If you go to the Keyboard Shortcuts in Windows webpage, as it exists today, it shows up whether you choose All Products, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 from the dropdown for Product Version at the top of the page.

They've also been calling these keyboard shortcuts for as long as I can remember now, but I do recall the "accelerator command" terminology in the mists of memory.  I think that went out as of Windows XP, but can't be certain.  It may have been with the introduction of Windows 7.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134  

Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.

~ H.L. Mencken, AKA The Sage of Baltimore

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.