Re: Add-on compatibility notice: NvDA Remote Support add-on 2.1 is not compatible with wxPython 4, new release recommended

Adriani Botez

I also see the responsibility to the addon authors who have been notified almost a year ago about this change. For a short time, it might throw NVDA a step backwards, but those are times where addon authors will be forced to do something for their addon to work.

Best

Adriani

Von: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> Im Auftrag von Joseph Lee
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 7. Juni 2018 19:08
An: nvda@nvda.groups.io; 'NVDA screen reader development' <nvda-devel@...>
Betreff: Re: [nvda] Add-on compatibility notice: NvDA Remote Support add-on 2.1 is not compatible with wxPython 4, new release recommended

Hi Jonathan,

I think multiple factors are involved:

• Need to move to Python 3: we’re researching foundations to move to Python 3 in the end, and wxPython 4 is the last dependency we need at this point.
  • wxPython 4: this version changes internals a bit, thus we ran into problems that we didn’t expect. Earlier this week I reported a problem where if you open a settings dialog and close it, NVDA won’t let you open others. This was fixed yesterday.
  • Attitudes from add-on authors about keeping up to date: we have add-ons that were written with old technology in mind, and it takes a bit of work to update the code to use newer interfaces and assumptions. Ideally add-on authors should do this themselves, but sometimes the community finds itself having to either locate the author or do the work ourselves. For the last twelve months, I’ve been telling the add-ons community to prepare for a day like this: making sure their add-on code works reliably with wxPython 4.
  • Inadequate preparations: we’re not adequately prepared enough as a community to help people affected by cases like Remote add-on, mostly having to do with attitudes and assumptions. I admit that I’m not free from taking the blame for the state of the add-ons community when it comes to preparing for wxPython 4, let alone Python 3 transition in the future. To me, if users cannot use their add-ons due to issues with wxPython 4 and Python 3, then I take it as a personal failure.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cohn, Jonathan
Sent: Thursday, June 7, 2018 9:45 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io; 'NVDA screen reader development' <nvda-devel@...>
Subject: Re: [nvda] Add-on compatibility notice: NvDA Remote Support add-on 2.1 is not compatible with wxPython 4, new release recommended

While I see this as essential in order to move to current versions of software / packages it is concerning that addons are breaking due to upgrading of the NVDA code base.  I worked in an office where we developed 25 scripts for AT technologies a year and still had a back log of portions of applications that were not fully compliant with Windows accessibility API’s. If in addition to keeping up with Windows and application changes that occur regularily, addon developers have to do regular work on their stock of addons I could see this as a deterrent to wide spread adoption of NVDA. Is this a general problem in the Python community or just an issue from the transition to Python 3.

Thanks,

Jonathan Cohn

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.