Re: accessible money

JM Casey <crystallogic@...>

We have what I think is a really good system here in Canada. Coins for small denominations (up to two dollars), and $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100 bills. The new bills are made of a kind of plasticised paper that can still tear but doesn’t wrinkle easily and is somewhat water-resistant. The bills have tactile markings on them, that resemble full braille cells. You can detect the denomination by counting the number of cells on the bill. This works better, I think, than putting braille numbers on bills, because a single dot could easily be rubbed out, but the impression of a full cell usually remains intact.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ron Canazzi
Sent: June 8, 2018 9:06 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] accessible money

Hi Kerryn,

If you can convince the powers that be in Trinidad to switch to all coinage rather than paper money, that would be the ideal thing to do.  Most blind people here in the United States have no difficulty with coinage.  The pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters are all differently rimmed and of different sizes and weights.  In the United States, we like our paper money.  There was great resistance to any change for large denominations than quarters.  However in a smaller country like Trinidad, you might have less resistance.  Good luck.

On 6/8/2018 8:29 PM, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io wrote:

hi

we in trinidad would like to make our money accessible to our blind or visually  impaired persons

what guidelines we should work with as to approach the powers that be, in our meeting on tuesday 12th june, in having this done, in terms of technology, tack tile immages etc

thanks

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"