Re: accessible money

Kerryn Gunness <k_gunness@...>

thanks again all for your feedback

----- Original Message -----
From: Kevin
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2018 12:13 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] accessible money

I think the device is only U.S. becase when the U.S. mint makes the bills the paper has little bar codes on the edge.  The device I got cost a hundred dollars.  There might be more devices like the one I have, don’t know!

E-mail is golden!!!
Kevin Lee

Date: Saturday, June 9, 2018, 1:40 PM

 But using that argument,

making money accessible

 when it may not be around much longer can be argued to be

spending a good deal

 of money to correct a problem that may not exist so it

shouldn't be done.

 After all, it would be hard to justify making a building

wheelchair accessible

 if that building were likely to be torn down in two years

and it wasn't

 providing an essential service.

Paper money is so much more

convenient than coins,

 that that is why it was adopted in the first place.

Accessibility is a

 worthy goal, but if accessibility is done at the expense of

what is generally a

 much better system of doing something for people in general,

it's a pyric

 victory.  Even if you win, the public resentment and

   From: Ron

Canazzi

   Sent: Friday, June 08, 2018 8:05 PM

   To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

money

   Hi Kerryn,

   If you can convince the powers that be in Trinidad to

switch to all coinage

   rather than paper money, that would be the ideal thing to

do.  Most blind

   people here in the United States have no difficulty with

coinage.  The

   pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters are all differently

rimmed and of

   different sizes and weights.  In the United States, we

like our paper

   money.  There was great resistance to any change for

large denominations

   than quarters.  However in a smaller country like

Trinidad, you might

   have less resistance.  Good luck.

   On 6/8/2018 8:29

PM, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io

   wrote:

     hi

     we in trinidad would like to make our money

accessible to our blind or

     visually  impaired persons

     what guidelines we should work with as to approach

the powers that be,

     in our meeting on tuesday 12th june, in having this

done, in terms of

     technology, tack tile immages etc

     thanks

--

 They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.

They ask: "How Happy are You?"

I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a

banana boat!"