Question about diminished expectations of blind people, by people who can see

Walker, Michael E

Hi,

Something I have struggled with all my life is peoples' misunderstandings about blindness. People who are not blind often shy away from me in social situations, just because I am blind. I have faced this at school and work. People might think that just because I am blind, I cannot perform at the same expectations as everyone else.

This question was bothering me badly over the weekend. The feedback I received is that people may see blindness as something they cannot cure or fix, so they treat them as outcasts.

What can blind people do to educate people who are not blind?

Thank you,
Mike