Re: Question about diminished expectations of blind people, by people who can see

Gene

This message isn't even remotely on topic for this list.  To discuss it, you can join a group like blind-x, which I don't have subscription information for but I can get if you want it.

Sent: Monday, June 11, 2018 8:30 AM
Subject: [nvda] Question about diminished expectations of blind people, by people who can see

Hi,

Something I have struggled with all my life is peoples' misunderstandings about blindness. People who are not blind often shy away from me in social situations, just because I am blind. I have faced this at school and work. People might think that just because I am blind, I cannot perform at the same expectations as everyone else.

This question was bothering me badly over the weekend. The feedback I received is that people may see blindness as something they cannot cure or fix, so they treat them as outcasts.

What can blind people do to educate people who are not blind?

Thank you,
Mike

Join {nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.