Re: accessible money

Ervin, Glenn

Rosemarie,

You can get hold of an old smart phone for next to nothing, and just not use it as a phone.

Apps like the money reader and color identifiers are often free apps.

They also have free GPS apps for letting you know where you are.

The free GPS apps will need an Internet connection of some kind though, they need to have access to maps.

There are some off-line GPS apps that come with maps for not a lot of money.

All these can be done on an old phone with no phone service, you just connect them to WIFI for downloading the apps.

Glenn

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2018 6:13 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] accessible money

Hi, Brian,

I too wish we had accessible money. One time when the guy from Buy Right Pharmacy came to deliver a medication for me, I accidentally handed him a 5-dollar bill thinking it was a one-dollar bill. It's true that not everybody has a smart phone. I can't even afford one because they're so expensive.

Rosemarie

On 6/9/2018 4:04 PM, brian wrote:

Lets not forget that not everyone has a smart phone and not everyone has a credit card or a debit card because they don't have a bank account.  They are just defying the judgment against them they are just lazy and they are hoping that the total cashless society will come quick enough so they don't have to make our money accessable.  The Usa is the only country that does not have accessable money how sad.  We have to depend on sighted people to tell us what our money is and trust them to tell us the truth.  This does not make me proud to be an american.  our goverment is telling us loud and clear that they don't care about our needs and we are American citizens what a shame.  I hope that those of you who live in countries and do have accessable curency are most greatful and thankful for the gift of financial independence.  We Americans would love to have this but who knows if we will ever have it.  Our paper money just all feels the same.  a hundred dollar bills feels like a one dallar bill.  I do wish that we had the kind of money that Canada has they have done it right so if they can do it then so can the Usa.  We have been provided with money readers by nls as a sulution but try to use this device at the check out counter and see what happens you will be holding up the line.  this is a very bad sulution to the problem of inaccessable curency.  It does not matter if you fold your bills in different ways or you have a billfold with 4 compartments as I have you first have to know what the bills are.  If you get in a hury you could miss fold the bill or put it in the wrong compartment I have done this.  We need to be able to identify our paper curency quickly and acuratly.

Brian Sackrider

On 6/8/2018 11:37 PM, Holger Fiallo wrote:

Do we need it? Now that we have apps that can tell us what is what?  Just asking.

Sent: Friday, June 8, 2018 10:27 PM

In 2008 the Federal courts ruled that the U. S. Treasury Dept. had to make currency accessible. They have diddled around for years, with study after study, and still no accessible money. They just don't want to do it, and are hoping that people will use credit and devit cards, etc.

Andy

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, June 08, 2018 8:16 PM

Hi.  I am in a rather unique position because i get to experience both sides of money, accessible and inaccessible.  Here in Singapore, we have currency notes of different sizes and made of different materials.  $2, $5 and $10 are of different sizes and are made of plastic, $2 being the smallest and $10 being the biggest size of this sub group.  Then there

is the group of $50, $100, $500 and $1000 currency notes.  These are made of tough paper, again of different sizes.  It is easy to tell the diference between one denomination from the other once you get use to it.  On the other hand, I am married to a Filipina, and The Philippines Peso notes are all of the same size, no matter which currency, so i need guidance on that score when I am back in the philippines with wife and family.  Cheers!

On 6/9/2018 11:03 AM, Gene wrote:

It isn't reasonable to ask that switching to coins be done. 

I'll use American denominations in examples since I don't know your denominations.  Who is going to be willing to carry nothing but coins?  If I pay for something with a ten dollar coin, I'm not going to want to get four coins for dollars and two quarters, a dime and a nickel back.  If I pay for something with a ten dollar coin and I'm owed eight dollars and twenty cents, I am not going to want to receive a five dollar coin, three one dollar coins and two dimes.  People aren't going to walk around with lots of heavy coins jingling in their pockets and wearing out the material in their clothes. 

and think of all the different coins you would have to learn.  The penny, nickel, dime, quarter, dollar, five dollar, ten, twenty, fifty, assuming you never have a higher denomination. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, June 08, 2018 8:05 PM

Hi Kerryn,

If you can convince the powers that be in Trinidad to switch to all coinage rather than paper money, that would be the ideal thing to do.  Most blind people here in the United States have no difficulty with coinage.  The pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters are all differently rimmed and of different sizes and weights.  In the United States, we like our paper money.  There was great resistance to any change for large denominations than quarters.  However in a smaller country like Trinidad, you might have less resistance.  Good luck.

On 6/8/2018 8:29 PM, Kerryn Gunness via Groups.Io wrote:

hi

we in trinidad would like to make our money accessible to our blind or visually  impaired persons

what guidelines we should work with as to approach the powers that be, in our meeting on tuesday 12th june, in having this done, in terms of technology, tack tile immages etc

thanks

-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.