Re: jaws & NVDA in combination

Zoe Fiogkos <fiogkos@...>

Oh gee thank you so much for taking the time to research this for me.  If I could find a solution for this toggle between the 2 programs it would be fantastic.  Someone here on the list wanted to know why I just don’t use NVDA to read my English.  This is just a preference of mine.  Firstly I’m the type of person who likes to learn as much as possible in different areas, for example jaws, NVDA, the mac, even zoomtext, which I admit I haven’t played with in years just because I have a lot on my plate right now.  I love the difference between jaws and NVDA.  Using the codefactory vocalizer voice on NVDA to speak Greek when I need it too, and switching to jaws for English makes a nice contrast and keeps me using both programs and learning both of them as best as I can.

Again here’s hoping we find a solution thanks for trying.  Maybe the jaws list might have a solution like changing the insert space s to something else that doesn’t conflict with NVDA, what do you all think?  It’s obvious that there’s some sort of conflict there in the keystrokes with the 2 programs running together.

From: Brian Vogel [mailto:britechguy@...]
Sent: March-07-16 11:40 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Re: jaws & NVDA in combination

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 08:18 am, Zoe Fiogkos <fiogkos@...> wrote:

Hi Brian the NVDA shift z did indeed announce sleep mode on but unfortunately jaws still doesn’t respond to insert space s to turn on speech, any other ideas?

 Zoe,

            Just so you know, the correction e-mail you said you sent noting that INS+S should have been INS+Spacebar, followed by S, never seems to have made it through.

            What I'm wondering, and I have no way to test it, is whether the JAWS speech toggle command is not considered a single keystroke, but two, and if this has an impact?  I presume by now you've seen my message saying that the sleep mode won't really work well functionally simply because it's in force only while focus remains on the application you invoked it on.  The moment you move to another application NVDA speech comes back on.

            I shot an e-mail off to Freedom Scientific Technical Support a few minutes ago asking if JAWS had a "full suspend" toggle and, if so, what the keystroke sequence is.  I know how handy it is to be able to tell any of these programs to simply stop doing anything at all and pretend they're not running until told to come back.  I have a client whose vision is variable enough that he uses JAWS principally for long periods of activity but who will also use ZoomText to get really up close and personal with certain specific items.  It's wonderful to be able to tell ZoomText to "pretend you're not running" until/unless it's needed again rather than doing a complete exit and restart of ZoomText itself.  I'll let you know what I hear back from Freedom Scientific, and that generally takes at least one business day.