Re: Web Page navigation

Chris Mullins

Hi William

Glad to see you are getting to grips with NVDA but I thought a little more explanation of the capslock feature described by Gene would be of interest to you.  In explaining how to enter the NVDA menu and set the capslock checkbox, Gene said to press Insert + n to display the NVDA menu.  Having set the checkbox and saved the settings, the Capslock key now works the same as the Insert key for the purpose of entering NVDA commands, as it is now an NVDA modifier key.  This is great for touch typists as you now have an NVDA modifier key either side of the keyboard, so for example you could now use the Capslock + n combination to open the NVDA menu.  Pressing the key twice quickly enables the Capslock key to perform its usual function.

Cheers

Chris

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of willmac@...
Sent: 17 May 2016 09:19
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Web Page navigation

Thanks Gene.  This exactly what I want. An action to turn CAPS LOCK on or off to allow me to type text with Caps Lock off and after wards putting CAP LOCK on again.

Thank you.

William

------ Original Message ------

Sent: 2016/05/16 5:47:35 PM

It sounds as though you are doing better in working with web pages.  That's good. 

I'm not sure what you want to do.  If you want to disable the caps lock key so that pressing it does nothing, that is not an NVDA setting.  But you can set NVDA so that the caps lock has to be pressed twice quickly to keep it from turning on or off. 

Issue the command insert n.  You can use either insert.

Down arrow to preferences.  Press enter.

Down arrow to keyboard settings.

Press enter.

Tab to the check box that says some thing like use caps lock as modifier.

Press the space bar to check the check box, then press enter.

You are now back where you started.  The dialog has closed.

Now issue the command insert control c to save the setting permanently.  You will hear something like configuration saved.  This will save all your current settings so be sure you haven't changed anything else that you don't want changed permanently. 

Gene

Sent: Monday, May 16, 2016 9:45 AM

Hi Gene,

At last I seem to have gone a stage further. You will not believe the effort I put into this.

As far as I can ascertain, I followed your tutorial faithfully.  What I did NOT do was give the keystroke "down arrow" time to work through the various options before it started reading.

Thank you for your patience and help.

Regards.

William.

PS. Is there a shortcut key to turn off Caps Lock while using NVDA

Sent: 2016/05/13 6:38:08 PM

This is like a very short tutorial.  Trying what I describe may help you understand and work with what we have been discussing.

Let's use this very nonstandard web page to get to a much more typical one.  Open the page, make sure you are at the top with the command control home.

Now tab to the first story.  The first news story is:

Solidarity launches class action against GEPF

Follow that link by pressing enter.

You will be taken to the page with the story.  Starting at the top of the page, press h.  That will move you to a heading and as you continue to press it, you will be moved to other headings.  The heading that is the title of the story is where the article begins.  If you start reading from there by down arrowing or by using the read to end command, you will start hearing the article.  If you stop reading and press h two or three more times, you will see a heading that says your next story.  There will be a link to the next story either above or below the heading.  A heading is written using a different format to draw the reader's eye to the text of the heading.  You don't do anything with a heading except read it.  You would expect the link to be below the heading since the heading is not a link.  And if you down arrow, you will find the link.  You may find on some sites, that you have to up arrow, but usually, if the heading is not the link, you would down arrow. 

Gene

Sent: Friday, May 13, 2016 10:16 AM

This message is long but I'm not sure the material could have been adequately covered in a shorter message.

The site you are discussing is not a typical Internet site. 

First a comment or two about structures in general.  You don't open headings.  You move to them.  You follow links by pressing enter on them.  But the site you are working with has nothing but links.  That is very nonstandard.  Go to the page you asked about.  Either start reading or if you just want to see links on this page, start tabbing.  Follow links by pressing enter.  If you want to learn to work with the commands you are trying to work with, use a conventionally formatted site.  Lots of sites are more or less conventionally formatted.  But this site is so nonstandard that we can tell you how to work with this site but it is not representative of most other sites. 

Here is more information. 

On the page you gave a link for, most quick navigation keys will only give you messages such as no next heading or no next button, etc.  That's because there are none and wherever you are on the page, there are none below where you are.  The commands such as h move to the next heading below your current position.  On this page, no matter where you are, there are no headings below where you are.  There is nothing anywhere on the page but links and text. 

even at the top of the page moving down the entire page, there are none. 

All such commands, b for button, x for check box, etc. look for what they are supposed to look for moving down the page.  If they find what they are looking for, they move you to it.  If they don't find anything, you will stay where you are on the page.

I would suggest you get an NVDA tutorial and listen to sections you consider important.  A very well thought of tutorial is available here:

If you look through the page, you will see how it is organized and you will get an idea of what you want to listen to.  Some people learn better using written material but many people prefer tutorials and if you do, this is a good one.

As far as how the keys work in general, I don't know how many sites you've tried them on.  If you go to a more or less standard site, you should get responses from many of the keys. 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, May 13, 2016 9:01 AM

Hi Gene & Brian.

First of all in response to an earlier reference from Gene I must state categorically that I am a complete novice as regards NVDA.

I have heard the term "there are more than one way to skin a cat".  Well I am present not able to skin any cat.

I have read thru quite a bit of the short cut keys and they do not react to the way I expect.

That is why i submitted my originally URL http://t.digitalnewspaper.co.za/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=%40fjNSuVTurK7VzhMSOxyzIucXl%2BKsnii1IrXYxuvhTwY%3D which I list again. Gene went to a lot of trouble detailing certain key strokes. However en this led to all sort of results.

I am not all interested in any  k links. If at all possible would it not be possible to give me the simplest method,  At this stage I am only interested in opening the headings and would want the key strokes required to read such articles continuously to the end.  Is this possible?.

Regards,

William

Sent: 2016/05/12 6:15:20 PM

Gene,

When the format of a given specific webpage is known, and in this case it is known to be nothing more than a list of links to articles, I don't think it's a disservice to anyone who cannot see to state that fact and to tell them that for this particular page using an elements list is the way to go.

I'm not trying to teach general principles here, but to help someone get through a very specific webpage, and its child pages.

And, yes, that's my opinion when I have a specific case under discussion, not a "how would one best go about this in the general case of an unfamiliar page."  Even then I'd encourage someone to give the elements list a look to get a quick snapshot regarding what links, headers, or landmarks might or might not be present.  There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Brian
-- 

Never underestimate the difficulty of changing false beliefs by facts. 

~ Henry Rosovsky

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.