Re: NVDA was working fine until this morning when I tried to update

Daniel Hawkins

Gene, thank you for letting me know about the run command. I pretty much know the rest. I have done multiple uninstall and installs, but I noticed that NVDA never fully uninstall. I will try the Windows Run command, and see if that will fix my problem. Thanks Gene!
Daniel Hawkins

On Jun 16, 2018, at 6:15 PM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

Hi

For a complete uninstall of nvda from the computer in cases i might use narrator .

it will depend on your operating system what the add/remove section is called for programs.

You will need to locate nvda in that list and uninstall it .

Then close that screen with the alt key + f4 key.

Next use the windows key + letter R to bring up the run dialogue and type in the following %appdata% then press the enter key.

it will give you a list of folders i think it is called in the roaming folder.

Locate the nvda folder and delete it

Close that screen with the alt key + f4 key.

But before you do that make sure you have a good working copy of nvda that you can use. Just to be on the safe side i usually grab the latest copy from nvaccess.

After the steps have been done you can then reinstall nvda to your computer.

I do have directions some where on my website that says what to do.

Gene nz

On 6/17/2018 12:55 AM, Daniel Hawkins wrote:
My computer at work have this problem. For the past year, everytime there is a update, NVDA crashes. Then either I use Narrator to reinstall NVDA or I use JAWS to reinstall. But before I do that, i uninstall NVDA under Apps and features in Windows 10.

Someone have mentioned that when you uninstall NVDA and uninstall it’s files, how would you go about doing that? When i reinstall NVDA, all my addons and settings are still there. So, i know it is not a complete wipe. If there is any directions to completely remove NVDA, I would love to know how to do it. Thanks!
Daniel Hawkins

On Jun 15, 2018, at 1:54 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:

Yes I finally managed to get this effect you described. It seems that it throws an error at the time when no nvda is actually able to run because of an error screen, so it seems like all is quiet. I did a button  on the computer quick tap to let it shut down gracefully. Then when it cam up with a dong noise as obviously nvda was not installed fully, I ran a portable copy from another folder, then I manually removed the exe files from the nvda folder in program files (x86) and reran the update file and  boom all is well.
As has been said before often if there is something on the machine which screws up an install, say a file that needs to be deleted but is not from an older copy, then all sorts of random things happen.
Its seldom the end of the world. Moral, when you are happy with a working version of nvda. Create a portable version in another folder on your hard drive, go there with explorer and create a shortcut to the  main exe file or use a batch file in that folder and make a shortcut to that. I published my batch file a day or so back as it makes sure any running copy of nvda shuts down before running it again from the portable version.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-