Re: Automatically start NVDA after I log on to Windows checkbox unable to be checked

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Thomas

I know on a portable version the start nvda when windows does check box will not be there on a portable version but is on a installed version.

Would the person maybe only have installed the portable version and not the installer version?

I am guessing the 2 check boxes under it would not show up either on a portable version of nvda.

I have installed nvda from a portable version but the installer version and those options are there.

Below is from the user manual.

3.1. Portable and Temporary Copy Restrictions
Apart from the inability to automatically start during and/or after log-on, the portable and temporary copies of NVDA also have the following restrictions:
• The inability to interact with applications running with administrative privileges, unless of course NVDA itself has been run also with these privileges (not recommended).
• The inability to read User Account Control (UAC) screens when trying to start an application with administrative privileges.
• Windows 8 and later: the inability to support input from a touchscreen.
• Windows 8 and later: the inability to provide features such as browse mode and speaking of typed characters in Windows Store apps.
• Windows 8 and later: audio ducking is not supported.

By the way check under c: drive then program files x86 and then see if there is a folder called nvda if not i am guessing they might of just made a folder on the c: drive and done a shortcut to it like some do.

Gene nz

On 6/17/2018 10:42 PM, Thomas Stivers wrote:
 Hello all,

The three options pertaining to automatically starting NVDA appear on screen, they do not appear disabled, but they cannot be selected either in the welcome dialog or in the general preferences. This is happening on a remote computer, so I didn't do the installation myself. Is there a scenario where NVDA was installed as a portable copy or run directly from the installer file which can cause these options to be present but unusable? I did a brief search of reported issues, but I don't see anything that covers this although I could I swear I remember discussion about it some months or years ago.

For what its worth this is about installing NVDA 2018.1.1 on Windows 10.

Thank you for any assistance,

Thomas